Honored Contributor

Re: Luggage Recommendations, Please

I am not savvy when it comes to luggage but it is important that it is lightweight and has wheels and a good long adjustable arm.  Excellent locks.Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

I like soft luggage because I stuff souvenirs in the luggage and my bag is always heavier coming back then leaving.  But that's my preference - I've never used a hard case and I don't know anyone who does.

What is surprising is how much cheaper luggage is when you order online from a luggage site.  Research what you want, and then check it on ebags or a similar site.

@stuyvesant  I always used to prefer soft sided luggage as well, but now with the additional charges for exceeding the limit on checked baggage weight, I thought hardsided was actually lighter than some of the softsided out there.  I also think the hardsided adds a little more protection to what's inside.

Trusted Contributor

Samsonite® Manual Luggage Scale

@JeanLouiseFinchI have one of these and it is great to weigh your suitcases.

One reason as you mentioned, I like the hardside to protect the things inside.

Frequent Contributor

Tumi luggage. Voyager collection. It is light weight, durable and you can add
matching pieces to your collection.
Honored Contributor

@SisterGoldenHair wrote:

Samsonite® Manual Luggage Scale

@JeanLouiseFinchI have one of these and it is great to weigh your suitcases.

One reason as you mentioned, I like the hardside to protect the things inside.

@SisterGoldenHair  OK, I need this!  When we fly in February, we'll be in first class, which allows us increased weight limit on our checked bags, but that's not always going to be the case.  I'm notorious for overpacking so this little scale will be a very handy thing for me to have.

Honored Contributor

@Lilypad1 wrote:
Tumi luggage. Voyager collection. It is light weight, durable and you can add
matching pieces to your collection.

Tumi is quality, and good looking, my DH & I both have Tumi "briefcases" we gifted each other. But I would never pay that price for luggage.

Once I was sitting in a window seat waiting for takeoff, when I saw two luggage vans racing up towards the hold.  I saw a bag fall off the first van, and the second one ran right over it.  It was mine.  Yes the airline 'repaired ' it.  They used stiff cardboard.

Ouch!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am not savvy when it comes to luggage but it is important that it is lightweight and has wheels and a good long adjustable arm.  Excellent locks.Cat Happy

You might want to check out Samantha Brown on HSN.  I believe her luggage has good reviews.  Plus she gives you tips on how to organize for travel.

Trusted Contributor

I just bought  medium size Swiss Army was the brand. Love it! It has 3 pockets inside  and expand 6 inches. I just took it to Europe  for 17 days with my pillow inside. Still had plenty of room.