Super Contributor

Lucille Ball fans want ‘frightening’ statue in star’s hometown removed

Nope. It doesn't resemble Lucy at all.

Locals are not happy with this statue of Lucille Ball in Celoron, N.Y.

View gallery

/></div> <p><span style= Lucille Ball’s hometown, just outside Jamestown in western New York, erected a life-size statue to honor the beloved actress — but now it has some explaining to do.

Many take issue with the sculptor’s unflattering depiction of the “I Love Lucy” star.

A self-described “big fan of Lucy’s” from Jamestown thinks the statue needs to be replaced with one befitting the comedy legend.

“Lucille Ball was not only an amazing comedienne, but she was a stunning beauty. Her sense of humor only made her more beautiful,” he said in an interview with Yahoo News. “This statue looks nothing like the beautiful Lucy we all know. If for no other reason than that... the statue should go.”

The Jamestown man, who wishes to remain anonymous, started a Facebook page titled We Love Lucy! Get Rid of this Statue.

“I don’t think this can be repaired,” he said. “Take a look at the beautiful statues Nick at Nite created for ‘Bewitched’ and ‘The Honeymooners’ and Bob Newhart… it needs to be something more like those.”

The group organizer says that he does not want to disparage artist Dave Poulin at all. In fact, he said, the artist has other works that are quite good — he just missed the mark this time.

View gallery

In this undated image provided by CBS, comedian-actress Lucille Ball and her husband, musician-actor Desi Arnaz, from the comedy series,

In this undated image provided by CBS, comedian-actress Lucille Ball and her husband, musician-actor Desi Arnaz, …

“I think it looks like a monster. That is just my opinion,” he said. “When you see it at night, it is frightening.”

The Jamestown area is immensely proud of the classic television icon. Jamestown is home to the Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Museum & Center for Comedy, which hosts an annual comedy festival the first week of August. Jerry Seinfeld will be headlining this year.

Celoron Mayor Scott Schrecengost told the Jamestown Post-Journal that it would cost a lot of money — between $8,000 and $10,000 — to have the original artist recast the statue, which was unveiled in 2009.

Schrecengost told the newspaper that he has no interest in using taxpayer dollars to fix it. Instead, a fund has been set up to raise the money, according to the daily newspaper.

The artist did not reply to Yahoo News’ request for comment.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lucille Ball fans want ‘frightening’ statue in star’s hometown removed

I saw this earlier and thought YIKES - what the heck? Doesn't even look a smidge like Lucy!

Was this statue just put up, or has it been there for a while?

At any rate - no es bueno!

Honored Contributor

Looks nothing like her.

Super Contributor

I think it's new.

I found another photo and it is truly scary. No kid would dare climb on this one lol

Valued Contributor

That statue is not even close to the original image:

Image result for lucille ball, vitameatavegamin

I also like this one:

And this one:

The "Vitametavegamin" episode is one of the all-time best "I Love Lucy" episodes! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Super Contributor

Oh it was unveiled in 2009. I wonder, why the fuss now?

Honored Contributor

It looks almost ape-like.

Super Contributor

Here's another statue by the same artist. I really like this one.

Honored Contributor

OMG, it's horrid!

Whoever gave that the ok should be made to get his or her eyes examined {#emotions_dlg.scared}

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Absolutely looks nothing like Lucy. I just can't imagine what the artist was thinking...........Didn't he/she have a preliminary sketch prepared to be approved by the city? I don't get it, at all...............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).