Super Contributor

Re: Low carb, or other weight loss success stories

I hate counting calories. I went on nutra systems many years ago didn’t like the food. I have been on Richard Simmons deal a meal along time  ago lost weight but gained it back. 

Super Contributor

I know, there is so much food I like I gain it back. the Richard Simmons deal a meal sounds interesting. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

About a year ago my husband did blood test and he had high triglycerides! Really high.  He is not overweight, and is muscular, having exercised his whole life.  Not like moi.  Hanging head in shame.  He is Japanese-american and rice is like water to him.  He also consumed a lot of bread.   He didn't want meds, so he chose to do it by changing diet.  First we cut out bread, and rice.  We didn't even do brown rice.  Just none, cold turkey.  Because I am not going to cook two diets, and I was a little overweight,I just went along for the ride.

We have eaten organic for years, and do the Acai, unsweetened, and power greens. We eat well, just not right always.   I just started cooking only foods that I knew had high nutritional value.  We did starch in the way of half a small butternut or acorn squash,filled with left overs or spinach, chicken 

by the end of three months his triglycerides were a little below normal.  Lol.  and I had lost a few pounds. In the period of a year I dropped 23 lbs, and I seem like I eat what and how much I want, it is just what I choose I guess.

i highly recommend to someone who wants  to loose a few lbs or increase health to start with ONE food item that is your weakness and eliminate it.  If it is chips, cookies do that, if it is rice potatoes, start with that. do that.  Then stick to it for a month and choose another food to eliminate. I always think in the back of my head, this isn't forever, and I can quit if I want. For me this mind set works, and I just get through it, until I love it, and I wouldn't want to change.

I am curious what you are eating....could you share a typical breakfast lunch dinner?

Congrats on/ to you and your husbands success/good health!

Super Contributor

My weakness is ice cream

Honored Contributor

The Keto Diet seems to be the latest craze that many people are following.   I have read many reviews about this plan and every one of them have said the plan is far too restrictive to be a plan anyone can stick to for life.  I'm just tossing that out there, not saying anyone about the diet one way or the other.  I know a few people on it who have lost good amounts of weight and I know people who were on it then got off it because they hated it.  The amount of fat some were eating on this plan made my head spin.

I am a former WW.  I lost 104 pounds on an old plan.  However, I thought I was "cured" and went back to poor eating and gained weight.  I have detested every WW plan since they started with those "free points" in addition to your daily allowance. 

I know my opinion isn't a popular one because many people think WW is the be all end all of programs but I find them very gimmicky.  Every few years they change the program to something else, this time allowing certain foods to have no points whatsoever.  Nope.  Not buying it.           

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lost 65 pounds by cutting out all carbs except some vegetables and fruits. It was fairly easy to get used to eating that way. Unfortunately for me, when I tried to eat a bit of ice cream here or chocolate there I couldn't control myself and the weight came back on. 

Now I once again need to lose the same 65 pounds. For me carbs are like a drug and I am addicted to them.  Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

‘It’s upsetting and depressing when you need to lose weight that you once lost. I look in the mirror and I look pregnant.