Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Low carb, or other weight loss success stories

‘’THANKS EVERYONE. I LEARNED ALOT

Esteemed Contributor

The only thing that worked for me, since i don't get much exercise because of my very bad back problems, was NO carbs at all. lol, But then when i ate them again I gained weight back. And it is hard for an Italian girl to not eat carbs at all. I don't eat junk food rarely even eat meat anymore. But I live for pasta and bread. I have learned to accept myself for my weight (which could be much worse). I need to lose 30 lbs some people need to lose 100.

PS 2 of my granddaughters are vegan for 4 years now. They keep telling me to turn vegan.I tried it for week. I was starving. lol..I cannot do without total dairy! The meat didn't bother me, I actually like the vegan meat (substitutes). It was the no dairy, and believe me lots of things have dairy or some sort of animal product in them! Anyway both of those granddaughters wear a size 3 or 4 (they are ages 20 and 18 and do yoga too). They arent vegan for the weight though, (they were never heavy, just a size or so more) but they do it becuase of heart problems and cancer in parts of the famiily, and mostly of their love of animals and the enviroment. The weight loss is a bonus (I guess?). But yeah they are young and very active too unlike me (lol).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

‘NO carb’

Giggle. There’s no such thing.

Foods have a mix of Carbohydrate/Protein/Fat.

People will eat animal products/byproducts thinking they are

consuming ’protein’, but those products are usually a high % of fat. 

It’s the fat calories, not the protein, they are consuming.

Starving?  Nope, that’s the incorrect way to do a plant based diet.

Starch is King.  Eat a couple pounds of potatoes or couple cups 

of brown rice...then let’s talk. But then I correct myself.

“Vegan” can be extremely high in fat & unhealthy via oils, avocados,

nuts/seeds and processed foods.  

Plant Based is the truly best, healthy way to live. HCLF

Super Contributor

👌

Honored Contributor

I eat mainly lean proteins and low glycemic index vegetables.  I don't count calories, and I don't have small portions.  I am hangry when I'm hungry so eat often!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

You have to have enough protein, fat, fiber, and carbs to stay warm/cool, keep your brain functioning at full capacity, build muscle, lose fat instead of muscle, digest well, etc etc.  

Be careful about carbs but be sure you get good carbs every day.  Fresh fruit and vegies have carbs and so do whole grains.  

I went through a 1 year program with a professional trainer.  Each group was just 5 people so they were very personalized.  One thing I learned is that diet is a whole lot more than calories and carbs.  Once I got the combination right, the weight started falling off. For example, I need these things every day in order to lose fat, lose weight, and build muscle:

1.  42g of good fats

2.  70g protein

3.  30-32g carbs, majority were good carbs

4.  8-10g fiber (others were getting more but this worked for me)

5.  60 or more ounces water

6.  total of 1,300 to 1,410 calories

7.  20 minutes good cardio or weights/resistance training

I'm down 77 pounds to date.  My blood pressure, sugars, good & bad cholesterol, and heart rate are normal.  And I'm wearing Missy Petites again.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel portion control is one of the key elements to successful weight loss.  Until I was on a diet plan, I never paid attention to the serving size information on almost everything we eat.  Once I actually paid attention, I was astounded. 

I used to routinely eat a pint of ice cream at one sitting, when there are at least 3 servings per pint.  I would eat a bag of cookies, when the serving size was 2 cookies - two!!  Now I check the serving size for everything I eat. 

I also think any diet plan must be something you can do forever. I feel, losing weight and keeping it off requires a permanent change in both what you eat and the way you eat. So I think any workable diet has to include foods you like. 

I believe enjoyment of meals is just as important as weight loss goals. What’s the point of being thin and miserable.

Super Contributor

I love ice cream. I have been getting carb smart - I need to cut my portions down😟

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

About a year ago my husband did blood test and he had high triglycerides! Really high.  He is not overweight, and is muscular, having exercised his whole life.  Not like moi.  Hanging head in shame.  He is Japanese-american and rice is like water to him.  He also consumed a lot of bread.   He didn't want meds, so he chose to do it by changing diet.  First we cut out bread, and rice.  We didn't even do brown rice.  Just none, cold turkey.  Because I am not going to cook two diets, and I was a little overweight,I just went along for the ride.

We have eaten organic for years, and do the Acai, unsweetened, and power greens. We eat well, just not right always.   I just started cooking only foods that I knew had high nutritional value.  We did starch in the way of half a small butternut or acorn squash,filled with left overs or spinach, chicken 

by the end of three months his triglycerides were a little below normal.  Lol.  and I had lost a few pounds. In the period of a year I dropped 23 lbs, and I seem like I eat what and how much I want, it is just what I choose I guess.

i highly recommend to someone who wants  to loose a few lbs or increase health to start with ONE food item that is your weakness and eliminate it.  If it is chips, cookies do that, if it is rice potatoes, start with that. do that.  Then stick to it for a month and choose another food to eliminate. I always think in the back of my head, this isn't forever, and I can quit if I want. For me this mind set works, and I just get through it, until I love it, and I wouldn't want to change.

Super Contributor

I lost weight and gained it back on WW. I tried WW again and failed. I know why I faiiled, I don't eat right.Then I decided I don't need to pay when I know right from wrong. Some vegetables and fruits have scared me away because I think I might get sick. When I eat vegetables I like them cooked.  I would like a simple food diary though. The other think about counting points or calories is when I make a recipe. Kind of a pain to figure out the servicing informaion. I know what a portion is so when I eat more I know I'm doing it to myself. Sometimes it's stress eatng.