Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

I find it very hard to believe the Queen never visited Prince Philip when he was hospitalized. What is your source for this?  How do you know?

@KKJ 

Well then all the British papers are lying ... google it.  She didn't visit him.  

Honored Contributor
What a nasty accusation, to say that she didn’t care.

I also think the queen would’ve been crucified in the press if the hospital had made a special exception for her. Moreover, if I was her personal physician I would advised against it for the sake of her own health because it would not have been without risk, not to mention disruptive to a hospital dealing with pandemic patients AND a Royal.
Honored Contributor
BTW, my patients FaceTimed with family.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
What a nasty accusation, to say that she didn’t care.

I also think the queen would’ve been crucified in the press if the hospital had made a special exception for her. Moreover, if I was her personal physician I would advised against it for the sake of her own health because it would not have been without risk, not to mention disruptive to a hospital dealing with pandemic patients AND a Royal.

^This.

This was an issue between husband and wife, too. 

We do not know what was said between the two nor does it matter.  It doesn't make her an uncaring person.

Would we say a husband or wife or parent or child has written off the family member in the hospital?

An opinion add nothing to the sorrow felt about his death.  I prefer to wish the Queen well as she carries on without him at her side.

As I would for any person who is going through the death of a loved one.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

I find it very hard to believe the Queen never visited Prince Philip when he was hospitalized. What is your source for this?  How do you know?

@KKJ 

Well then all the British papers are lying ... google it.  She didn't visit him.  

Oh those must be "the rags" you keep accusing me of reading. When I read them they are rags, but when you read them they are the gospel truth! 🤣🤣🤣

Trusted Contributor

Maybe the Queen DID spend time with him over face time on a telephone. I highly doubt that she "wrote him off" by a long shot.Ridiculous statement. Did you give ANY thought before you posted that??

When my own mom broke her hip and was in rehab for six weeks, my dad only visited once on Easter. It wasn't a big deal to them. They talked on the phone many times a day. Both were already elderly and past age 85.

Why put the Queen through that? It would have been such a commotion if she visited and knowing Phillip, he would have hated it. He didn't like any kind of fanfare as proved by his simple, self planned funeral.

Even though she was the Queen, she NEVER took advantage of her position. Don't forget, ALL the Royals were involved in the WWII effort. She herself was a mechanic.

Lets cut the Queen some slack please. We don't know every detail of what she does and that is rightfully deserved.

Honored Contributor

No need to attack each other over this. Unless that's your thing.

"Although reports have said that Prince Charles visited his father in the hospital Feb. 20 (via ABC News), most of the royal family has kept their visits virtual by checking in on the elderly prince by phone or Zoom. Prince Edward told Sky News he'd spoken to his father by phone, reporting that Philip was "looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing." Philip's grandson, Harry, recently told host James Corden on The Late Late Show that he'd used Zoom to keep in touch with his grandparents, according to Yahoo! News. Harry laughed and shared that instead of digitally leaving the meeting, Philip instead slams his laptop shut. "He just goes 'doof'!" Harry said while demonstrating the gesture.

Royal expert Arthur Edwards told 7News that the elderly royal has had few visitors because of hospital restrictions amidst an ongoing pandemic. Although the couple received the first dose of vaccines in January, the 94-year-old queen and her husband are at risk of exposure to the coronavirus if she visits. She remains isolated at Windsor Castle while she works. "The reason only the Prince has gone this time is that the Duke doesn't want anybody (else) there," Edwards said. "And when people tell me how serious he is, I said, 'When the Queen turns up then you start to worry.'""

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Lovely service but...

[ Edited ]

@Snooky60 wrote:

@stevieb - if I'm not mistaken, isn't Andrew already the Duke of York?

@Snooky60  That's right. All of the male 'senior' royals were given by the queen various peerage titles corresponding to England, Scotland and Ireland. Andrew's English peerage is the Duke of Yorrk. As the heir apparent, Charles was given peerage titles commensurate with that status and is also titled the Prince of Wales until he becomes king. Upon Phillip's death, as the eldest son, he now also 'inherits' Phillip's peerage titles. I don't claim to fully understand the peerage or the rules on inheritance, but upon Charles becoming King, William will become the Prince of Wales and I assume will also take on most of the peerages now held by Charles, though those inherited by Charles from Phillip will likely be assigned to another royal, probably Prince Edward. It's unclear to me what becomes of William's current peerage titles. I believe it is the case that eldest sons do, at some point, begin using 'subsidiary' (or lesser) peerage titles of their father so that for instance Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex's son, James, is styled as Viscount Severn, which is one of Edward's subsidiary peerage titles. There exist entire guidebooks on the peerage system in the UK.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

It's my understanding that the Prince of Wales is NOT inherited but given by the current monarch. For example, Prince Charles was given the title on July 26, 1958, when he was 10 years old.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lovely service but...

[ Edited ]

@Sushismom wrote:

It's my understanding that the Prince of Wales is NOT inherited but given by the current monarch. For example, Prince Charles was given the title on July 26, 1958, when he was 10 years old.

Most royal peerages are granted by the monarch. Although some of them are awarded historically to the heir apparent and some are inherited, unlike more traditional hereditary peerages handed down by families, most royal peerages are said to be 'created'. Hence, upon his marriage, William was 'created' Duke of Cambridge. The Prince of Wales designation, while not a peerage, is typically granted to the heir apparent by the monarch but is not 'inherited'. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out now that females are within the line of succession, though it won't be tested for many years, given the next three monarchs stand to be males. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...