Respected Contributor

Queen Elizabeth's birthday is April 21, it will be a bittersweet one for her.  She has the support and love of her children as well as grandchildren.  It would be very kind if Harry stayed to celebrate her birthday with her.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Kitty Galore I read once that in private the Prince called her "Lillibet" which her sister also called her, at least as children.

That is what was reported to be what the Queen wrote on the note placed on the Prince's coffin.

@geezerette @Love my grandkids 

Queen Elizabeth herself could not pronounce her own name as a very young child-she would say "Lillibet".  It became her nickname with her grandparents and parents and stayed with her throughout.  This was before Margaret was born. Prince Philip simply continued the tradition of her nickname.

How touching if that is what she wrote on the note. 

A reminder that they may be Royals but they still have their own tender moments just like other regular folks.

The camera zoomed in on the note during the procession to the chapel. What I saw - very clearly and handwritten- was "I love you."

@beach-mom   Thank you.  I didn't see the whole service so I was wondering about the note.

*sob*

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I also watched and felt sadness for the Queen.  She did seem shrunken, frail and so alone!!  Such a touching sight when she turned around to take a last look at the coffin as she was walking out with the Archbishop!

Honored Contributor

Re: Lovely service but...

[ Edited ]

@corita wrote:

I also watched and felt sadness for the Queen.  She did seem shrunken, frail and so alone!!  Such a touching sight when she turned around to take a last look at the coffin as she was walking out with the Archbishop!

@corita   The Queen must have paused to look at something else, or just to capture the scene in her mind.  At that point, the coffin had been already lowered beneath the floor, to the Vault below.  The catafalque had a motor to lower the coffin.

Super Contributor

@stevieb - if I'm not mistaken, isn't Andrew already the Duke of York?

Respected Contributor

@Snooky60 wrote:

@stevieb - if I'm not mistaken, isn't Andrew already the Duke of York?

Not only that, but Charles is also the Duke of Cornwall and of Rothesay. 

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Icegoddess Harry chose to step down as a senior royal and live a different life. That's not "snubbing his nose." It's being his own man and making his own decisions for the life he and his family want.

I really don't see the problem with that.

@Love my grandkids 

Since the beginning of commerce people have been born into families that had a family business.  Some will gravitate to it, and others want no part of it.  That's not snubbing their noses.   Working in a regular business with family can be a MAJOR hassle, depending on the personalities involved.   Besides, Harry has always been "the spare" and was only "vital" until William had some heirs to follow him.  Now, Harry really isn't needed anymore.   He should make a life for himself.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I heard Martha MacCallum speaking to a British correspondent on Fox say Prince Phillip was the only person that called her by her actual name ,   Now no one will .  I still can't even imagine being married 73 years and then having to carry on alone without that constant companion by your side.    Losing a soulmate has to be one of the worse things in life .   I feel so sad for the Queen😞

@Kitty Galore 

I know that losing a spouse or family member is always difficult, but I think many are forgetting that the royals have been groomed all their lives to play to the camera.  They need to look good for the cameras.  Remember Diana sitting alone in front of the Taj Mahal?   Play to the cameras.

While people have plenty of sympathy for the queen right now,  I'm pretty sure she had written him off ages ago.

Phillip was in the hospital for an entire month at Christmas .... and the queen didn't visit him even once.  British newspapers verified that.  Think about that for a moment. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Lovely service but...

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I heard Martha MacCallum speaking to a British correspondent on Fox say Prince Phillip was the only person that called her by her actual name ,   Now no one will .  I still can't even imagine being married 73 years and then having to carry on alone without that constant companion by your side.    Losing a soulmate has to be one of the worse things in life .   I feel so sad for the Queen😞

@Kitty Galore 

I know that losing a spouse or family member is always difficult, but I think many are forgetting that the royals have been groomed all their lives to play to the camera.  They need to look good for the cameras.  Remember Diana sitting alone in front of the Taj Mahal?   Play to the cameras.

While people have plenty of sympathy for the queen right now,  I'm pretty sure she had written him off ages ago.

Phillip was in the hospital for an entire month at Christmas .... and the queen didn't visit him even once.  British newspapers verified that.  Think about that for a moment. 

@Tinkrbl44  What I think about that is it was so wouldn't be exposed in a hospital to COVID at age 94, almost 95. Yes she has gotten thevax but there are variants around; and you can still get COVID

I'm pretty sure she did not "write him off" years ago.

Honored Contributor

Uh @ Pearley If the queen HAD wanted to visit Phillip in the hospital, they could certainly have provided a sterile area for them to be together.  She wouldn't have had to walk all around various corridors or be in highly populated areas. 

If she had wanted to see him, they would have made accomodations.  There was no excuse for her not wanting to be with him, even briefly.   Well, yes, there are plenty of excuses, as mentioned upthread.