Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Kitty Galore I read once that in private the Prince called her "Lillibet" which her sister also called her, at least as children.

That is what was reported to be what the Queen wrote on the note placed on the Prince's coffin.

When the Queen and Margaret were little children Margaret couldn't  say Elizabeth and called her Lilibet, which stuck as a name of endearment.

@Pearlee   It was Elizabeth herself who could not pronounce her own name as a very little child.

The nickname stayed and was already used when Margaret was born.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I heard Martha MacCallum speaking to a British correspondent on Fox say Prince Phillip was the only person that called her by her actual name ,   Now no one will .  I still can't even imagine being married 73 years and then having to carry on alone without that constant companion by your side.    Losing a soulmate has to be one of the worse things in life .   I feel so sad for the Queen😞

I remember Queen Victoria saying the same thing: Now no one to call me Victoria. Very sad.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Kitty Galore I read once that in private the Prince called her "Lillibet" which her sister also called her, at least as children.

That is what was reported to be what the Queen wrote on the note placed on the Prince's coffin.

@geezerette @Love my grandkids 

Queen Elizabeth herself could not pronounce her own name as a very young child-she would say "Lillibet".  It became her nickname with her grandparents and parents and stayed with her throughout.  This was before Margaret was born. Prince Philip simply continued the tradition of her nickname.

How touching if that is what she wrote on the note. 

A reminder that they may be Royals but they still have their own tender moments just like other regular folks.

The camera zoomed in on the note during the procession to the chapel. What I saw - very clearly and handwritten- was "I love you."

Respected Contributor

Re: Lovely service but...

[ Edited ]

The service was done according to Prince Philip's wishes.  I found it very comforting as I watched this morning.  

Trusted Contributor

No "but" from my point of view.

I watched extended BBC coverage, which included coverage of some of his charities and causes, and showed the outdoor miliary bands, as well as the service. I thought was very well done.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

Re: Lovely service but...

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

I'm wondering who the lady was who accompanied the Queen in her car.

If I heard correctly, I think they said that Harry would receive the title Duke of Edinburgh (Prince Philip's title) whenever Charles ascended to the throne and there was also a title that Prince Andrew would receive.  Sorta surprised me considering the legal troubles Prince Andrew is in and that Harry has mostly snubbed his nose at his family.

Unless something has changed, Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex, was said to have been the next Duke of Edinbugh. He is the only of the queen's male children to have yet been created a duke. I strongly doubt that Harry's title will change. When Charles ascends the throne, William will become the Prince of Wales.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful service. I admit that I cried. My heart broke for the Queen, saying goodbye to her soulmate, adult children saying goodbye to their father, etc. The Queen looked so frail to me. I hope that her health continues to be strong.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

If I heard correctly, I think they said that Harry would receive the title Duke of Edinburgh (Prince Philip's title) whenever Charles ascended to the throne and there was also a title that Prince Andrew would receive.  Sorta surprised me considering the legal troubles Prince Andrew is in and that Harry has mostly snubbed his nose at his family.

Unless something has changed, Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex, was said to have been the next Duke of Edinbugh. He is the only of the queen's male children to have yet been created a duke. I strongly doubt that Harry' title will change. When Charles ascends the throne, William will become the Prince of Wales.

I read in one of the English newspapers that Edward has been promised the Duke of Edinburgh title but for now upon the death of Philip, it is vested in Charles.  When Charles ascends to the throne he can bestow it on whomever he wants to, presumably Edward who has been told he will get it. The paper said Charles won't use it since he has so many other titles such as the Prince of Wales.

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette 

I also read that Phillip called the queen Lillibet and that's what she wrote on the letter she placed on his coffin.  All so sad, I  pray the queen stays in good health.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

On the news I think I heard someone say that the woman in the car with the Queen was her Lady in Waiting who has been with her for many, many years.