Respected Contributor

The service was dignified and the music was incredible. But does the Royal family not do eulogies? I remember Diana's brother giving a beautiful eulogy at her funeral. My brother gave a moving eulogy at my Mother's funeral. Everyone grieves in their own way.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lovely service but...

[ Edited ]

Prince Philip wanted no eulogy or family members reading scripture, so they honored his wishes. He wanted no big state funeral, so I guess it was as small as it could be and still show the dignity and respect due someone so important and beloved by British citizens. So sad to see the Queen sitting alone and away from the other family members in the chapel during the service. 

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Prince Philip wanted no eulogy or family members reading scripture, so they honored his wishes. He wanted no big state funeral, so I guess it was as small as it could be and still show the dignity and respect due someone so important and beloved by British citizens. So sad to see the Queen sitting alone and away from the other family members in the chapel during the service. 

It brought a tear to my eye watching her as they played "God Save the Queen". She was all by herself. It really struck me, she lost a steadfast and loyal companion.

Regular Contributor

The commentator on MSNBC said that Prince Phillip disliked eulogies and sermons at funerals and so wanted none at his own. He scripted his own funeral.

Honored Contributor

It was a beautiful service. I felt sad for the Queen sitting all alone too. But that was also symbolic of the pain that countless people have felt over the past year plus, many saying goodbye over a screen or not at all and not being able to have the usual funeral. I think the Queen, even in her deep grief, knows that and feels it.

They honored so many other people who have lost loved ones, by the way they strictly adhered to covid protocols. Didn't place themselves above anyone else, and I admire that.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

I read this morning that she will  be living in Windsor from now on, with the annual travels to Balmoral and Sandringham.  Buck House will only be used for ceremonial matters on occasion.  And, when the Queen dies, the Duke will be moved and buried next to her at another location.

Honored Contributor

It's a very low key and somber funeral. 

It's very sad to see the Queen sitting alone.

Respected Contributor

I think the service was well done, in keeping with Prince Phillip's wishes. I, too, was sad for the Queen. She appeared weary when walking into the cathedral.

I do hope she continues in good health, herself. We all know, or have heard of long term companions health rapidly declining, after losing their soul mate.

She's strong and proud, but I know her heart must be breaking, having such a chapter close in her life.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:

It brought a tear to my eye watching her as they played "God Save the Queen". She was all by herself. It really struck me, she lost a steadfast and loyal companion.

It was a beautiful service, and like everyone, my heart is breaking for the Queen. Also, I read yesterday that after all of these years of starting her correspondence "The Duke of Edinborough and I. . ." she wrote her first note starting with just "I." 

It was interesting to see just a family- saying goodbye to a father, grandfather, great-grandfather, or other relative who was deeply loved. I've read the Queen is very close to Sophie, Edward's wife. But I just heard a royal commentator say a source of strength for the Queen for the last week has been SARAH FERGUSON!  That surprised me! I know she and Prince Philip did not get along, but do any of us know the real connections among the royal family? 

Honored Contributor

Lovely,somber service. I think it was Daddy who said nobody does ceremony like the Brits.

I wonder if it was the Queens request that she sit alone.