Honored Contributor

Re: Love my Jack-O-Lanterns...

Where was that headline?   And why single out jack o lanterns?  Not enough info for me to even start to have an opinion.

Honored Contributor

Pumpkins are a healthy treat.  The flesh and the seeds are filled with so much goodness. 

I didn't see the story about pumpkins, but I do wonder about Christmas trees that are cut down just for holiday decoration.

Ducking now!

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Where was that headline?   And why single out jack o lanterns?  Not enough info for me to even start to have an opinion.

@millieshops

Simply google "global warming" + "Jack-O-Lanterns" and you'll see the article.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Pumpkins are a healthy treat.  The flesh and the seeds are filled with so much goodness. 

I didn't see the story about pumpkins, but I do wonder about Christmas trees that are cut down just for holiday decoration.

Ducking now!

@Lucky Charm

Yes, Christmas trees get cut down, but THEY GET REPLACED BY NEW SAPLINGS WHICH GROW INTO NEW CHRISTMAS TREES. It is not a matter of cutting down trees and denudding a forest.  The trees do get replaced.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnativeTY--will read

So-- I went and read the article --and now I'm just shaking my head.  Seems to me whoever started this was desperate for a headline and didn't really care how much real science was behind it.

Sure, the vegetation will rot eventually, but I        think the man who said grass clippings and other yard trimmings are a much greater problem.  No one has figured out how to deal with them either.

Enjoy your jack o lanterns.  You can do plenty of things to make up for the "sin" of contributing to global warming with them.  Drive your car 2 miles less, turn your heat down 2 degrees or turn your AC up 2 degrees, etc.