Esteemed Contributor

Re: Louis Zamperini has died

My Dad had just met him in his Aviation group a couple of months ago. Does anyone know who will replace him as GM in the Rose Parade?

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

On 7/3/2014 qualitygal said:

Just read his book this year. Talked for awhile with my dad, soon to be 90, and he remembered about this man. I wouldn't have even known about this book, except for the brilliant women who suggested it in "Entertainment" and "books" section. If you haven't visited that area yet, you need to if you enjoy reading.

Why thank you, LOL!

Unbroken was seriously the best book I read that year, and the best non-fiction I've read ever. What a hero. What a man!

I'm sorry he passed away before the movie release.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/3/2014 MrsSweetieBear said:

Just read his book this year. Talked for awhile with my dad, soon to be 90, and he remembered about this man. I wouldn't have even known about this book, except for the brilliant women who suggested it in "Entertainment" and "books" section. If you haven't visited that area yet, you need to if you enjoy reading.

Why thank you, LOL!

Unbroken was seriously the best book I read that year, and the best non-fiction I've read ever. What a hero. What a man!

I'm sorry he passed away before the Rose Parade in January. He was suppose to be the GM.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

Nancy Drew, yes, that too. It would have been so fitting. RIP Mr. Zamperini.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Respected Contributor

On 7/3/2014 MrsSweetieBear said:

Why thank you, LOL!

ITA! It was hard at times to read. I will admit that I shed a few tears while reading the book.

Super Contributor

On 7/3/2014 Nancy Drew said:

My Dad had just met him in his Aviation group a couple of months ago. Does anyone know who will replace him as GM in the Rose Parade?

I read in this morning's paper that they will not be replacing him.

Super Contributor

Laura Hillenbrand, author of 'Unbroken,' on the passing of Louis Zamperini

It is with tears and the heaviest heart that I share the news of the passing of Louie Zamperini. He died peacefully in his sleep last night, surrounded by his loved ones. He lived ninety-seven beautiful, extraordinary years.

Louie was my beloved friend, my surrogate grandfather, a man who threw laughter and light across my dark days, my hero, my steadying hand. To know him, to be in the presence of his radiant optimism, his sparkling wit, and the love in which he lavished everyone around him, was a privilege and a pleasure and and an indescribable joy. In a life of almost unimaginable drama, he experienced supreme triumphs, but also brutal hardship, incomprehensible suffering, and the cruelty of his fellow man. He was an airman, a plane crash victim, a castaway, he was attacked by sharks and strafed by his enemy, he was a POW and a slave, he struggled with post-traumatic stress disorder. But Louie greeted every challenge of his long journey with singular resilience, determination and ingenuity, with a ferocious will to survive and prevail, and with hope that knew no master. His life would not be a sad story because he would not allow it to be. His story is a lesson in the potential that lies within all of us to summon strength amid suffering, love in the face of cruelty, joy from sorrow. Of the myriad gifts he has left us, the greatest is the lesson of forgiveness.

Farewell to the grandest, most buoyant, most generous soul I ever knew. Thank you, Louie, for all you gave to me, to our country, and to the world. I will never forget our last, laughing talk, your singsong "I love you! I love you!" and the words you whispered to me when you last hugged me goodbye, words that left me in happy tears. I will love you and miss you to the end of my days. Godspeed, sweet Louie.

Thank you!

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

On 7/3/2014 donovan said:

I read the book last summer and it was amazing.

I don't even know if I will go see the movie because they tend to change stuff around and not stay true to the book.

You forget-Louis was there to make sure the movie stayed true to the book. Angelina Jolie produced it and wanted it to be totally authentic. Louis even said he'd be in the movie if he could be Angelina's boyfriend.

Respected Contributor

There was a long feature article on this wonderful man in our newspaper yesterday.

I have placed the book ""Unbroken"" on my Kindle list.