Trusted Contributor

Re: Louis Vuitton owns other familiar brands

[ Edited ]

The Alma is my favorite bag and is why the D&B zip zip is such a success. 

The LV neverfull tote is the one I probably use the most. 

Respected Contributor

Bernaud Arnault, the founder and CEO of LVMH, is one of the richest men in the world.  He wisely knew that people want to buy so-called "luxury," and he has been very adept at acquiring many highly recognized brands.

Yes, some of the brands are very historic, but it will be interesting to see if their independence and creativity will continue now that they are part of a profit-building empire.

It is up to us, the consumer, if we want to help his holdings grow, or if we shop elsewhere. 

Honored Contributor

@jackiejenny wrote:

The Alma is my favorite bag and is why the D&B zip zip is such a success. 

The LV neverfull tote is the one I probably use the most. 

I do love my Neverfull.  It's light and it holds a lot.  I purchased a LV shoulder strap for it.  My LV bags were a gift from my bff.  She celebrated her 78th birthday by giving away a good portion of her designer bag collection to women she cares about.  

Respected Contributor

My SIL bought me a LV bag in Paris where she lives. It is the real deal; many of the ones sold in the US are copies. I like the bag,  but it is super heavy due to the type of leather; I used to carry it but don't use it much anymore. I have never been into expensive bags with big logos on them...I feel like I am advertising for a designer after already giving them my money for the bag! They should be paying me for the advertising!  I found a beautiful bag last year in a store....it had all the features I wanted...then I turned it over and it had Jessica Simpson's signature across the entire bag. I couldn't put it back on the shelf fast enough.

Trusted Contributor

I guess for me, it depends on the logo. Some I like, some I don't. 

Now, when (and if) I finally get that Hermes Birkin bag, I will advertise for them all day and twice on Sunday! Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackiejenny  I would love to have a LV or a Birkin bag, but I would honestly be afraid to carry it around in my town, with all the crime and low lifes looking for stuff they can steal these days, I wouldn't be comfortable carrying such a nice bag running my errands.

Years ago, I worked with a lady whose husband was in real estate and he had bought her a LV bag.  It was plain, black, and not too big.  I would have loved to have had that bag.  Funny thing is years ago I sold a lot of gold jewely at the downtown LA jewely mart and had a wad of case and went to the LV store on Rodeo Drive.  I was ready to drop about $1500 for a wallet or small bag and none of the sales people would give me the time of day.  No sale for them that day.  They fawned all over my DIL who wasn't even interested.

That was my one and only venture out to get a high end bag.  Now my priorities have changed, but a girl can dream.......

......You look like I need a drink.....
Valued Contributor

You can puchase pre owend LV thru QVC.... LOL.....do a search! I couldn't believe it.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@amyb wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

The rich get richer.

Or as my mom always said, "money goes where money is." 

Am I the only one on the planet who never understood the appeal (other than the status symbol, of which there are so many others, prettier) of the LV signature bags? Just talking about the style, not the quality. Didn't like the color brown/tan, with the LV's all over them, or any of the styles, shapes...never understood the appeal. 
I guess being a status bag was enough for many. 

The Alma PM epi leather handbag has a discreetly placed LV on the side. Unless you look closely, it is barely visible. It is a beautiful handbag that maintains its popularity. LV make a lot of handbags that are quite discreet. Not everything is vinyl and leather in the brown LV design bag.

Not that I'm in the market but I'll have to Google those. I'm sure they make some lovely, luxury bags. And not to over-push my point, lol, but I just wonder, specifically, about that brown logo bag's popularity. I just always did. But, I'm probably in the minority!

Trusted Contributor

@wifey2qt  Yes!  I even saw a pre-owned red Chanel bag! 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunsetbeach wrote:

Louis Vuitton makes so many other bags than the traditional brown monogram.   I have quite a collection, but only 3 brown monogram.  I have a Palm Springs Mini Backpack, Fall in Love Petit Mini Sac Plat, and the Match Nano Bucket.  I've been collecting for over 20 years and all of my others are different colors, textures, and designs. 

I've been collecting for many years as well and one of my faves is the LV Monogram Empreinte Metis hobo in black leather.