Honored Contributor

Re: Loughlin's Daughters Still Enrolled At USC

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Have they been charged with anything?  How many Junior and Seniors in High School suddenly join clubs they have no interest, try out for sports, volunteer at local charieties just to include on college applications. 

Uh that's slightly different than photoshopping yourself into rowling photos when you've never rowed and being accepted as a row recruit. Oh and also bribing someone to let it slide through. Your excuses for them are quite comical.

Joining a club and trying out for a sport is not the same as claiming to be on a non-existent rowing team. lol

Not sure what your problem is, I was not making excuses for anyone. 

@CrazyDaisy, you said "Have they been charged with anything? How many Junior and Seniors in High School suddenly join clubs they have no interest, try out for sports, volunteer at local charieties just to include on college applications."

Are you actually trying to compare what this family did to students becoming active in school clubs, etc., in order to burnish their application ? The former is immoral and illegal; the latter is actually good for the students.

Joining a club and not being an active participant is good for a student?  Wow, learned something new.

@CrazyDaisy, yes, regardless of their motive, a teen just might find out that that club or that elected office or that charity work actually was interesting and fun.

Regardless, burnishing a resume is in no way comparable to the issue at hand.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

The headline they had said they would not be returning to USC...guess that doesn’t mean they are dropping out so they are still enrolled.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

That's an assumption that because someone doesn't standardize test well, they won't excel in their college courses.  Particularly if the courses are in subjects they like and do well in.  Not all of these kids were high school idiots;  

Their parents wanted a guaranteed acceptance into a school of their choice and needed to bump up the ACT/SAT scores.

@Johnnyeager  I think you're assuming a lot here, first, that many of those students were intelligent and second, that they could just take college classes in whatever subjects they 'liked'.

Obviously, their own parents did not think they were intelligent enough! 

You also make it sound like what these particular parents did was no big deal. It's illegal.

I absolutely never said anywhere that what the parents did was acceptable.  If you've seen my multiple posts on this topic, I think Felicity, Lori and the rest should all do prison time.

However, I am pointing out that a handful of students, maybe only even 1 or 2,were entirely unaware of the scheme at the time.  Having read the entire complaint(s), this is obvious in a few instances.  I did not say that it makes the parental actions OK, I merely point out that some kids were not complicit.

Thank you for your time and interest.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

That's an assumption that because someone doesn't standardize test well, they won't excel in their college courses.  Particularly if the courses are in subjects they like and do well in.  Not all of these kids were high school idiots;  

Their parents wanted a guaranteed acceptance into a school of their choice and needed to bump up the ACT/SAT scores.

@Johnnyeager  I think you're assuming a lot here, first, that many of those students were intelligent and second, that they could just take college classes in whatever subjects they 'liked'.

Obviously, their own parents did not think they were intelligent enough! 

You also make it sound like what these particular parents did was no big deal. It's illegal.

I absolutely never said anywhere that what the parents did was acceptable.  If you've seen my multiple posts on this topic, I think Felicity, Lori and the rest should all do prison time.

However, I am pointing out that a handful of students, maybe only even 1 or 2,were entirely unaware of the scheme at the time.  Having read the entire complaint(s), this is obvious in a few instances.  I did not say that it makes the parental actions OK, I merely point out that some kids were not complicit.

Thank you for your time and interest.

First, you've never mentioned here, not once, that any parents should do prison time.  Maybe reread your posts.

Second, what does it matter if '1 or 2' of the kids were not complicit.  They didn't qualify for admission to the school, and their parents allegedly commited a serious crime to get them admitted.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's irrelevant that they were kids who were (allegedly) not aware of what was happening. They got in through fraudulent, illegal means. They should be expelled, and then they can apply again the right way.

If I lie about my son's age or residence to get him on even a pee wee sports team, guess what? They don't care that he wasn't aware of what I did. They would kick him out.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Trusted Contributor

Exactly, it is irrelevant.

Respected Contributor

Some of you may agree, some may not, and that's o.k. Everyone thinks differently, BUT, to my way of thinking, the children need to be expelled permanently from that college. 

If you are of college age, I don't care how privileged you are raised, you should have enough sense to realize that college is not "given" to most people.  You know you did not work to get there and you should not be there because your parents paid your way. 

I know students who maintain a high GPA and are working two jobs to stay in college. They want  their education, appreciate the value of a degree and are willing to work for it.  

This whole scenario turns my stomach. 

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

According to Page Six of the NY Post:

“We have confirmed that both Olivia Giannulli  and Isabella Giannulli still are enrolled,” a USC spokesperson said in a statement to USA Today on Monday."

As in all things today ,money talks.  

Honored Contributor

As long as the tuition money comes into bursars office when it is due, they can probably stay enrolled forever
Honored Contributor

Both girls knew what was going on and knmew their parents were cheating the system by paying $500k to get them admitted as athletes...I have no sympathy for any of them . This type of thing has been happening for decades, but it doesn’t make it right.