Honored Contributor

Re: Loughlin's Daughters Still Enrolled At USC

Shame on the parents for this mess they put their children into and shame on the upbringing that created people who feel it is their right to take away the opportunities of those more deserving because they can just buy it without the trouble it takes to earn it.

Esteemed Contributor

That's an assumption that because someone doesn't standardize test well, they won't excel in their college courses.  Particularly if the courses are in subjects they like and do well in.  Not all of these kids were high school idiots;  

Their parents wanted a guaranteed acceptance into a school of their choice and needed to bump up the ACT/SAT scores.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

That's an assumption that because someone doesn't standardize test well, they won't excel in their college courses.  Particularly if the courses are in subjects they like and do well in.  Not all of these kids were high school idiots;  

Their parents wanted a guaranteed acceptance into a school of their choice and needed to bump up the ACT/SAT scores.

@Johnnyeager  I think you're assuming a lot here, first, that many of those students were intelligent and second, that they could just take college classes in whatever subjects they 'liked'.

Obviously, their own parents did not think they were intelligent enough! 

You also make it sound like what these particular parents did was no big deal. It's illegal.

Esteemed Contributor

Best guess -- Loughlin's daughters just had their last college semester. Besides all the hoopla -- their passion doesn't seem to be in higher education. Off they go to learn some harsh lessons in life.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I didn't think they were going to classes or anything.  LOL

@Bri369   They weren't.  Enrolled doesn't mean they are studying and attending classes.

I would assume once they've missed an exam or two (unless Mommy was paying off the professors, too) they eventually will flunk out.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Have they been charged with anything?  How many Junior and Seniors in High School suddenly join clubs they have no interest, try out for sports, volunteer at local charieties just to include on college applications. 

Uh that's slightly different than photoshopping yourself into rowling photos when you've never rowed and being accepted as a row recruit. Oh and also bribing someone to let it slide through. Your excuses for them are quite comical.

Joining a club and trying out for a sport is not the same as claiming to be on a non-existent rowing team. lol

Not sure what your problem is, I was not making excuses for anyone. 

@CrazyDaisy, you said "Have they been charged with anything? How many Junior and Seniors in High School suddenly join clubs they have no interest, try out for sports, volunteer at local charieties just to include on college applications."

Are you actually trying to compare what this family did to students becoming active in school clubs, etc., in order to burnish their application ? The former is immoral and illegal; the latter is actually good for the students.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@donovan wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I don’t believe they ever planned on going to classes. I guess if they weren’t caught, it wouldn’t matter if they kept up a passable GPA at all. 

Most colleges and universities have attendance requirements.

Was USC overlooking all of this?

Really depends on the university, many are very liberal concerning class attendance however must be there for tests.

Not sure the children should be punished for the crimes of their parents.  If they are doing well and maintaining the grades, they should be allowed to continue.

I think it should be a case by case basis.  But these 2 girls posed for crew pictures even though they weren't on a crew team, so these 2 girls knew they were cheating to get into USC.

Have they been charged with anything? 

That has nothing to do with it..

They never qualified to attend this school.

They knew they didn't qualify to attend this school.

If you say her video, daughter Olivia readily admitted that she was not attending classes, she was too busy doing other things.  Colleges have requirements for grades and attendance.

Hopefully, they'll never be admitted to another college.  Their future might be punishment enough, without being charged with anything.

@Harvard99   Presumeably their future includes inheriting a lot of money, so I hardly think that is "punishment enough."

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@donovan wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I don’t believe they ever planned on going to classes. I guess if they weren’t caught, it wouldn’t matter if they kept up a passable GPA at all. 

Most colleges and universities have attendance requirements.

Was USC overlooking all of this?

Really depends on the university, many are very liberal concerning class attendance however must be there for tests.

Not sure the children should be punished for the crimes of their parents.  If they are doing well and maintaining the grades, they should be allowed to continue.

I think it should be a case by case basis.  But these 2 girls posed for crew pictures even though they weren't on a crew team, so these 2 girls knew they were cheating to get into USC.

Have they been charged with anything? 

That has nothing to do with it..

They never qualified to attend this school.

They knew they didn't qualify to attend this school.

If you say her video, daughter Olivia readily admitted that she was not attending classes, she was too busy doing other things.  Colleges have requirements for grades and attendance.

Hopefully, they'll never be admitted to another college.  Their future might be punishment enough, without being charged with anything.

@Harvard99   Presumeably their future includes inheriting a lot of money, so I hardly think that is "punishment enough."

@Pearlee  Yes, they would be rich, with or without this scandal.  But it appears that their peers, other Z Gen's, seem to be taking aim at them for their part in all this.

One thing that many rich, famous show biz types have in common is a big ego, and a need for adulation. One daughter is also very extroverted, of You Tube fame. 

So this may hurt them. more than any financial repercussion,  having their friends and peers turn their back on them.  Yes, I think being 18 or 19, that would hurt the most

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee  "Money Can't Buy Me Love"  - Paul McCartney

Eta-  I bet that's not a happy family now either, and never will be again.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Have they been charged with anything?  How many Junior and Seniors in High School suddenly join clubs they have no interest, try out for sports, volunteer at local charieties just to include on college applications. 

Uh that's slightly different than photoshopping yourself into rowling photos when you've never rowed and being accepted as a row recruit. Oh and also bribing someone to let it slide through. Your excuses for them are quite comical.

Joining a club and trying out for a sport is not the same as claiming to be on a non-existent rowing team. lol

Not sure what your problem is, I was not making excuses for anyone. 

@CrazyDaisy, you said "Have they been charged with anything? How many Junior and Seniors in High School suddenly join clubs they have no interest, try out for sports, volunteer at local charieties just to include on college applications."

Are you actually trying to compare what this family did to students becoming active in school clubs, etc., in order to burnish their application ? The former is immoral and illegal; the latter is actually good for the students.

Joining a club and not being an active participant is good for a student?  Wow, learned something new.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.