Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lots of DEER for you today

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick  I've been following your saga off & on. I must say, remarkable!! Thanks for sharing your photos!

But....what part of the country are you in? I don't believe I ever saw deer so friendly in my neck of the woods (s.e. PA.) Deer, alright, just not so willing to camp out at someon'e house and befriend the people! 

The last deer I saw was about a week ago, where 5 or 6 were lounging & eating something on a residential lawn, (away from town) and we walked by and they didn't budge. Very tolerant!  Deer are very common where we live! Many a time in my backyard.

Did you put a salt lick out for them?

Esteemed Contributor

@MamaWick - OMG, so much fun to see these beautiful creatures and watch them interact with you. More and more will come as the word spreads - are you ready? LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  they are not my pets and are from the wild.  I live in a rural lake area where they cannot be hunted.  They are attracted to our pretty green St Augustine grass.   A lot of their habitat, unfortunately, has been lost due to all the development here.  When I have carrots, apples, or deer nutrition pellets for them, I actually ring a dinner bell and they come running.  It is always the same group, with sometimes a few extra.  They are friendly because they don't know to be afraid of humans.  When they start mating in a few months, PapaWick and I  won't be out with them.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom and @Harpa  I am in Texas.  We do provide fresh water several times daily and feed them year-round...but not every day.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Valued Contributor

@MamaWick 

Your beautiful pictures are the only reason these days to sign on to this site.

Just  simple nature  showing us how to get along.

Thank you as always.

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick 

I thought deer were very large since they can cause damage to a car if one is ....

this looks to be the size of a very large sheep

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Deer communicate using unusual sounds.  Do they ever talk to each other?

Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey. Bigger than sheep or goats, smaller that cows.  You might be thinking of moose or elk.  And indeed, deer can cause lots of damage to cars.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting the wonderful photos.....

Buckley is MAGNIFICIENT......  And Im so glad you give some extra to the female with the injureed leg.  Thank you for all the love and care you show the deer! Heart

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee. I've heard fawns calling for their mamas.  I've heard deer snort which is generally a danger warning (but haven't heard that often).  That's about it.