Super Contributor

Lost my dear orange tabby Duke

When DH and I got together in '94 we started our pet family right away. At the time it didn’t dawn on us that we’d have a home full of aged pets one day. Well, that day has come.

We had 5 pets all together (3 cats and 2 dogs) and they were all rescue animals either gotten via the Humane Society or directly from the people who rescued them. We’ve loved them all so much and unfortunately we’ve had three die this year. One in December (Ranger, a large English setter who was one part horse and 3 parts pure love and goofiness), one in August (Comet, a black lab looking mutt who was so so smart and only wanted to make us happy and be a good girl) and now this morning another (Duke, an orange tabby who was quite plump because he lived as a kitten and young cat on the streets -- the vet said he’d never get used to always having food available – he was so lovey dovey, purred and never did a bad thing).

I know we’ll get other pets after the new year, but it’s so hard saying goodbye to your family. That’s what pets are to me and DH – our family. I could never have kids, so that’s the closest we’ll ever get to having dependents – I hope this doesn’t offend anyone, I know how much different it is having babies

For now there are memories everywhere of our dear pet babies and the things they used to do. If there’s any proof of a higher being, to me it’s the fact that animals were created. They give such unconditional love and purring. How many times I’ve gotten thru a hard time petting Dukey while he sat on my lap. Or talked to Comet who listened so intently I’d swear she really understood my problem and might have a good suggestion.

Thanks for anyone who reads my post and offers whatever perspective or wise words. I know so many here have animals and love them dearly and know what I’m going thru.