Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart 

You did a wonderful thing for her when you dropped everything and jumped in to help. Hugs to you.

I’m so sorry for her loss and yours.

Honored Contributor

@msclassylady717 wrote:

Hugs to you for being there for your neighbor.  I felt your sorrow.  When I read/hear of a person passing, brings back memories of one year our family encountered.  We had 13 deaths among friends and family this one year; it got to the point where we didn't want to answer the phone.

The one thing that gets me through rough times,  I try to find something good or funny in that bad situation, at times, it does help that I have a warp sense of humor.

During one of these times, the famiy was together sitting and chatting and the little kids were running around; my SIL said something about the loss of this person, my little nephew over heard her saing this, he came running into the room sorrt of concern/upset and said Mommy why doens't everyone go looking for him, why are we just sitting around. 

I'm not making light of your situation, I just wanted to share this, cause when I dealng with the loss of a loved one/friend, I just remember my little nephew and his concerned, which does bring  smile to me.

Hugs to you and your neighbor.

out of the mouths of babes.  What a lovely story.

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I am sorry, I lost my mother on August 11 th, so my pain is fresh We did not have to remove mom from a machine but we went through a long 18 month period of decline, hospitals, ER visits, Rehab. Then she had a few good months in a beautiful assisted living, then stopped eating and died under hospice care. I left at 10:30 at night and got the call at 7 AM that she had passed. What a whirlwind that is. I went over to the assisted living and spent about 2 hours with her. Then the funeral home came. When I went home my dog sensed my sadness and laid her head in my lap. I love that dog. 

That was a Sunday then we spent the week planning the service, etc. By the way, being an Internet shopper I got a beautiful casket from "overnightcaskets dot com" for about $3000 less than the funeral home. It was beautiful, wood, just beautiful. Even the Priest commented on it. 

After the visitation and the funeral we were exhausted. All of that takes so much out of a person. Now I have thank you notes to write for flowers and Mass Cards. 

I will give you some advice to help you help you friend. Right now friends and family will rush in and she will not be alone much but in a few weeks everyone goes back to their lives and your friend will be grieving heavily. Check on her everyday, even if it is a text, kind word, etc. It makes a difference. I have a friend who checks on me everyday and it is wonderful. She is the only 1 that does, otherwise I would have nobody checking in on my. That happened to my mom when dad died. It is the weeks and months after the service when the grieving family needs a kind word. 

I'm so sorry for your loss. I will think of you often.  

Your advice is perfect.  We lost Mom at Thanksgiving 2017.  I'm not sure there is anything like losing a parent. I still want to pick up the phone and call Mom.  I talk to her every day.    

Honored Contributor

Thank you for all your kind words.  It's hard to lose such a good friend.  I did what I thougtht anyone would do in the same situation.  Love is love and it's what we're called to do for each other.   I miss my neighbor a lot. His wife was over yesterday asking for some help with funeral planning.  She's so sweet and I'm glad to help any way I can.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Lost a friend

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart 

Heartfelt condolences on the loss of your friend, and you are so kind and caring to step in and help...

I can understand the dog picking up on the situation....animals just know.,..

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

@CalminHeart  I'm so sorry for your loss, God bless you.

Honored Contributor

My deepest sympathy on the loss of your friend.  

Honored Contributor
What a sad story. How fortunate for her that you were at home.
You certainly stepped up and took the reins when you were needed. I'm sure your neighbor appreciated all you did.

Last night I was watching the news when all of a sudden a photo filled the screen of someone I know and worked with for years on various projects. He'd been killed by a car while riding his bicycle. A middle aged man who still had much to offer. Life can be gone in a flash.
Regular Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank God you were there for her until her family arrived. It's so wonderful to see such caring people such as yourself in today's world. It was a terrible thing to go through but you did a wonderful thing for her and I know she appreciated it. I, too am very close with my neighbors who are much older than me. I know if something happens I will be there for them just as you were. They are very blessed to have you. Heart 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart Bless you for being by her side and for doing all the right things for her. She will never forget it. I know it's so painful, I know all too well. But it's also so painful beyond words when people aren't there for you in the ways that really matter.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"