Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart   God bless you, prayers for your friend and her dear family. I do not know you nor your friend but I am still shedding tears for you all. Yes, her furry companion does indeed sense this too. He will be a great comfort in time.

It seems lately a few of us have lost dear ones. I've had a couple of dear friiends who lost their husbands.

So tremendously sad. You were the neighbor she needed just at the right time.

Super Contributor

Bless your heart!  What a caring and loving person you are.  Your neighbor and friend came to the right person.  It was so kind of you to stay with her at the hospital and to take care of her dog when you came home.  You have a heart of gold.  God bless you and give comfort to your friend at this time.

Respected Contributor

i am so sorry for the loss of your friend.  i am so grateful that you were there in so many ways for his wife.  she is lucky to have you as a friend and neighbor.  

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart it is terrible your friend dying, but what a wonderful friend you have been to his wife.

I think he’d appreciate it.

You are a blessing.

Frequent Contributor

Hugs to you for being there for your neighbor.  I felt your sorrow.  When I read/hear of a person passing, brings back memories of one year our family encountered.  We had 13 deaths among friends and family this one year; it got to the point where we didn't want to answer the phone.

The one thing that gets me through rough times,  I try to find something good or funny in that bad situation, at times, it does help that I have a warp sense of humor.

During one of these times, the famiy was together sitting and chatting and the little kids were running around; my SIL said something about the loss of this person, my little nephew over heard her saing this, he came running into the room sorrt of concern/upset and said Mommy why doens't everyone go looking for him, why are we just sitting around. 

I'm not making light of your situation, I just wanted to share this, cause when I dealng with the loss of a loved one/friend, I just remember my little nephew and his concerned, which does bring  smile to me.

Hugs to you and your neighbor.

Respected Contributor

I am very sorry for your loss.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I am sorry, I lost my mother on August 11 th, so my pain is fresh We did not have to remove mom from a machine but we went through a long 18 month period of decline, hospitals, ER visits, Rehab. Then she had a few good months in a beautiful assisted living, then stopped eating and died under hospice care. I left at 10:30 at night and got the call at 7 AM that she had passed. What a whirlwind that is. I went over to the assisted living and spent about 2 hours with her. Then the funeral home came. When I went home my dog sensed my sadness and laid her head in my lap. I love that dog. 

That was a Sunday then we spent the week planning the service, etc. By the way, being an Internet shopper I got a beautiful casket from "overnightcaskets dot com" for about $3000 less than the funeral home. It was beautiful, wood, just beautiful. Even the Priest commented on it. 

After the visitation and the funeral we were exhausted. All of that takes so much out of a person. Now I have thank you notes to write for flowers and Mass Cards. 

I will give you some advice to help you help you friend. Right now friends and family will rush in and she will not be alone much but in a few weeks everyone goes back to their lives and your friend will be grieving heavily. Check on her everyday, even if it is a text, kind word, etc. It makes a difference. I have a friend who checks on me everyday and it is wonderful. She is the only 1 that does, otherwise I would have nobody checking in on my. That happened to my mom when dad died. It is the weeks and months after the service when the grieving family needs a kind word. 

Respected Contributor

I am so very sorry to hear this @CalminHeart.  But I am very glad you were able to be there for your friend at such a critical time.  Please take care, it was quite an experience for you as well so be sure to take care of yourself.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I am sorry, I lost my mother on August 11 th, so my pain is fresh We did not have to remove mom from a machine but we went through a long 18 month period of decline, hospitals, ER visits, Rehab. Then she had a few good months in a beautiful assisted living, then stopped eating and died under hospice care. I left at 10:30 at night and got the call at 7 AM that she had passed. What a whirlwind that is. I went over to the assisted living and spent about 2 hours with her. Then the funeral home came. When I went home my dog sensed my sadness and laid her head in my lap. I love that dog. 

That was a Sunday then we spent the week planning the service, etc. By the way, being an Internet shopper I got a beautiful casket from "overnightcaskets dot com" for about $3000 less than the funeral home. It was beautiful, wood, just beautiful. Even the Priest commented on it. 

After the visitation and the funeral we were exhausted. All of that takes so much out of a person. Now I have thank you notes to write for flowers and Mass Cards. 

I will give you some advice to help you help you friend. Right now friends and family will rush in and she will not be alone much but in a few weeks everyone goes back to their lives and your friend will be grieving heavily. Check on her everyday, even if it is a text, kind word, etc. It makes a difference. I have a friend who checks on me everyday and it is wonderful. She is the only 1 that does, otherwise I would have nobody checking in on my. That happened to my mom when dad died. It is the weeks and months after the service when the grieving family needs a kind word. 

@conlt, I am so very sorry for your loss.  It is so hard to lose your mother and it hasn't been a month yet for you.  Heart   Sending cyberhugs to you.  I am so glad you have a friend that is checking on you and you make a very important point.  Going through a signficant loss just doesn't end right after the funeral, but that is when everyone tends to go back to their business and not check in on someone.  Great advice!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

How kind of you to be there for her when she really needed someone. Good neighbors like you are really special.