Honored Contributor

I watched a friend die yesterday.  My neighbor rang the bell and asked if I'd take care of her dog.  Of course I would.  She then started crying and said she had to get to the hospital.  The dr had called and said her husband was dying.  I grabbed my keys and drove her.  He was on the automatic CPR machine when we arrived.  It didn't work.  They left him on the machine so she could say good-bye and then stopped it.  It broke my heart.  She kept saying "how will I live without you."  I called a priest who anointed and gave him Apostolic Absolution.  I stayed with her a couple of hours while she waited for family and the funeral home.  I left when family started arriving.  I brought her dog over when I got home.

It's interesting to see how dogs sense things.  He was pretty subdued. I think he knew something was wrong.  He kept looking out the front window at his home. He was happpy when 'mom' arrived but still a little different than usual.   

We've been friends for a looong time.  I'm really sad to lose him.  

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry. I well understand how big of a hole a loss like this can make..I am glad you were able to support her during those terrible minutes and hrs

Animals are so smart and  such a joy. It will help your neighbor just to have this dog in her life.

We are still missing our dear friend, and neighbor, who recently died, so I know how bad you must feel

Regular Contributor

I am so sorry. I'm sure it was such a comfort to your friend to have you there. Heart

Honored Contributor

Bless you for helping your friend and neighbor.  Im sure your friend knows what a blessing you are.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Your friend and neighbor is so lucky to have you. Animals do know when something isn’t right. I am sorry for all. 🙏

Esteemed Contributor

I am so very sorry.  You were there for your neighbor during the worst time in her life, and may you be blessed for the comfort you gave her.  May her husband Rest In Peace.

Respected Contributor

Wow @CalminHeart  you are an amazing neighbor and a very good friend. Thank goodness she did not have to walk through this alone. I am glad she also has a family network to help her go through this transition...but I think it will be her pet that will help her the most as she will not be totally alone. 

Honored Contributor

That was very kind of you to sit with your neighbor in her time of great need....she will probably rely on you in the days to come.  You are a good neighbor/friend.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart 

As one who has been on the receiving end of the kindness of a friend and neighbor like you in a similar situation, I can tell you that your presence at that time meant more to your friend than you probably can realize.  I hope you can be there for her in the coming days as well.  Those are the times that we find out who our true friends are.

I know that it must have been difficult for you also.  My condolences to you both.

🙏🕊❤️

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart  - I'm so sorry for your loss.