Esteemed Contributor

Re: Loss of Jill Bauer

[ Edited ]

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@Dooneygirls: First of all, welcome to the boards!  Can you please rephase the title of your post?  When I saw the word "loss", I (along with several other posters) immediately thought the worst possible thing had happened. Smiley Happy

Maybe just add QVC before it, 

QVC's  Loss of Jill Bauer.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Loss of Jill Bauer

[ Edited ]

@ScarletDove wrote:

Actually I have seen a huge difference in the way Jill's YHJ shows have changed over the last 4-6 months.  I always got a sense that Jill took a lead in the programming design for her YHJ shows since she has a great eye for decorating and design,  BUT, these shows have diminished in her running the show with featured products that relate to home design.  Yesterday, YHJ was all about the end of the gardening products season and her show revolved around what had been presented numerous times during the day; just not a YHJ show.  This has been the way her shows have functioned over the last whatever number of months....simply not the Jill's version of YHJ and I was looking forward to yesterday's show before her stint with Scott Grimes and JAI jewelry for their last show together!  I wonder if the merger and "change in programming" has affected some hosts career decisions?  I personally have found the changes unappealing and poorly designed, website technology has not improved, and many other things including hosts, has led to my major disinterest in QVC as it has been functioning lately!

------------------

I agree totally!!!   That has been my observation of late -- so many of the items Jill presents were repeat products from past shows!           

I watch Jill's shows because I enjoy her comments and presentation skills.  But lately the items have been underwhelming and repetitious!!

Honored Contributor

Didn't she just recently have somewhat of a celebration for her 25th anniversary with QVC?

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Jeanne from VA wrote:

I watched a pro this morning presenting with Linea: Mary Beth Rowe. Always polished, well prepared, and unassuming. She did not put lip gloss on over and over during her presentation, she did not take her shoes off and jump on the couch, she did not feel the need to change into every single piece of clothing presented, and she did not scream out  in a voice that would wake the dead! Please give “Mary-Beth-Rowe” classes to the new crop of hosts. 

I hate to tell you this but Mary Beth has trained some if not all of the new people.

Either they are not listening or she is not passing on her expertise.

she has even been training at QVC italia.

@sunshine45 wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Jeanne from VA wrote:

I watched a pro this morning presenting with Linea: Mary Beth Rowe. Always polished, well prepared, and unassuming. She did not put lip gloss on over and over during her presentation, she did not take her shoes off and jump on the couch, she did not feel the need to change into every single piece of clothing presented, and she did not scream out  in a voice that would wake the dead! Please give “Mary-Beth-Rowe” classes to the new crop of hosts. 

I hate to tell you this but Mary Beth has trained some if not all of the new people.

Either they are not listening or she is not passing on her expertise.

she has even been training at QVC italia.

MBR trained the QVC France team.  Look where they are now.  Just sayin'

And I love MBR.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

I saw this on Homeshoppingnista's site and went to Jill's Facebook page where she posted a video.  I didn't realize that she is only 50 and has been working at QVC 25 years.  I vaguely remember when she started, so yeah, it is time to move on.  She still has years left to work in today's world, I can see where she might want to do something else and I wish her well.      

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Does anyone know the reason Jill is leaving?  Is it because she is moving on?  That is a loaded answer but I wish Jill happiness.

I have a theory, but it's just my own. I have no idea why she made this sudden change. 

People have posted about how different her "Your Home with Jill" shows are now. I already posted in another thread about how much I will miss those. She always gets so excited about what she presents and the items she discovers or helps design (like soap rocks and Byer's Choice). I thought those were some of the best shows QVC offered. 

Just a while back she seemed enthused about her shows. Then she was off for a while.

Remember, all of the hosts have contracts. The new ones must have some kind of provisional contract (just speculating - I have no idea) that allows QVC management to release them early if they choose to do so. 

But in most fields, management always sets the terms, and we may not like what they say. They can change things around if they want. It doesn't matter to most how long you've been with a company. I've seen friends "downsized" who had been in an executive position with their companies over 20 years. We have two friends who went through this. One had been there 24 years; one had a daughter who was a senior in high school. In both cases it was not their decision. It's all about the money. 

As a wise poster said in another thread, it doesn't cost as much to pay a new host as it does to pay an established host. 

I really hope Jill does some kind of online decorating show. 

Trusted Contributor

@Jeanne from VA wrote:

I watched a pro this morning presenting with Linea: Mary Beth Rowe. Always polished, well prepared, and unassuming. She did not put lip gloss on over and over during her presentation, she did not take her shoes off and jump on the couch, she did not feel the need to change into every single ipiece of clothing presented, and she did not scream out  in a voice that would wake the dead! Please give “Mary-Beth-Rowe” classes to the new crop of hosts. 

@Jeanne from VA 

Do you think she might be the next to go?  

QVC “changing the guard” appealing  to younger viewers/shoppers with more disposable income than the current old, and retired viewers.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I've read many threads about the "personality" of new hosts and being honest, since I rarely watch QVC (I order online and may then watch a presentation) haven't noticed this "all about me" issue.

That said, is it really all that surprising that the new hosts ARE all about "me"? That attitude is found everywhere daily in real life. It's the #1 complaint I hear from teachers, from friends who are in social work, from nursing staff and hospital employees (I spend a lot of time in hospitals). The new hosts are a reflection of what's out there in society so, no surprise.

Each person has the choice to accept it or not.  Make your choice.

As for Jill leaving, I wish her well. As for the "older" hosts vs "newer" hosts, you know QVC keeps track of the numbers watching which host; show them who you prefer. 

@SahmIam , i was wondering about your comment that QVC 'keeps track of numbers watching' ...  i always wondered about this.  how are they able to 'see' how many are watching?  and if they really do this, then it should be pretty apparent  how their hosts are doing

Trusted Contributor

@Dooneygirls  Is it possible to edit your “title”? You make is sound like she passed away!

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

Im sad to see Jill go I always thought she did an excellant job and was professional.

Since I live in California I am able to see the late night hosts and some of them are awfull! The only that is good that I can even remember her name is Courtney Webb. One night this blonde was on and she said how much she loved Amy Stran and that Amy had trained her. No offense to Amy but this host was awfull. 

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18