Why would you think the QVC way of doing business is not working? They now have FOUR channels. More and more big name labels are gunning to be on QVC. @Equuleus  is correct - times change. Twenty five years ago, you couldn't shop QVC from an app. There wasn't a beauty channel. The product line wasn't nearly extensive. 

Whether you like or agree with the  direction of QVC is different than whether the company is successful. Liberty Ineractive Co.owns a lot of successful businesses and QVC is arguably the biggest and generates the most revenue.

Millennial marketing is the trend because they are now the biggest generation. Again, you might not like that the youngest adult generation influences our everyday commerce more than all of the other generations combined. Still, it doesn't mean millennial marketing is a falacy. 

BTW, I'm 48. 

Honored Contributor

Jill has enjoyed a 25 year career.   She is at a stage in her life where she sees what is really important, and is able to enjoy what she has while she has it.   Jill will never regret The Summer of 2019; special time spent with her mother, her husband, and her children, without a work schedule.   She doesn’t want to look back years from now and regret all that she missed out on with her family.   

I am sure Jill is well aware of the many opportunities available to her, and I feel sure she will accept one of them when she’s ready to start working again.   Jill Bauer will walk out of the QVC studio tomorrow night, but I for one truly believe she will re-emerge at some point.  

New Contributor

I cannot agree more.  I have millennial and older children.  QvC does not intrigue them. They are to a one, absolute experts at online searching, shopping and comparing shipping and deals. QvC will never be Amazon, will never be Zappos or any other sites that these folks shop. At lightening speed I might add. They would never take the time to shop this leisurely especially with the amount of redundancy.  Don’t bring up how to applies/use demonstrations. They can find all your brands on UTube.

That being said, this smacks of Lisa Robertson’s departure.  All of a sudden a very popular and (For me,  a west coast style host) abruptly leaves.  No one who’s been shopping with you for any length of time buys this “more time with my ‘’grown”” children business.  So you people are scrambling, and like every over inflated with their own success Corp., you decide to abuse, get rid of and hire cheaper younger Indians.  When history tells you, the chiefs who’ve never done the job, nor BEEN THE CONSUMER are the ones out of touch.  There is a patient way to grow your business with the loyal customer base you have now.  Nurture them, and they will put in a good and telling word with those behind them.  Quite effective if your performance and customer service matches your hype.  Wake up, personal attention and services are the only thing you all have left to sell younger folks. They don’t get that often with their frenetic shopping style.  And who should pass on that message but your current customers.  I won’t pretend to know your overhead, but I suggest you put your money into the people who buy from you every day rather than the people at the top who are selling you the equivalent of snake oil.  Your man is a Michael.  I’ll be using the word smacks one more time, he smacks of Michael Eisner and we all know how he almost cost Disney, well, Disney. Wake up folks

Honored Contributor

Sorry to have to ask ... but has Jill already left .... or when is her last day?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Sorry to have to ask ... but has Jill already left .... or when is her last day?

@Tinkrbl44   Jill's last show is tonight from from 9:00 p.m. to midnight.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Occasional Contributor

I was so surprised to see the announcement about Jill. I had no idea, and am rather sad to see her go. I liked her a lot, she had a lot of integrity that really went over well as far as selling items on air. I've read a few of the comments about the whys of her departure, and after thinking about a few of them, here's what I think may have happened.

Given that she's said during her 25th anniversary show that she would be staying on at QVC for a long time, and four months later she's gone; I think she'd heard something through the grapevine about her being let go. Although this selling stuff on air isn't supposed to be a popularity contest, it kind of is, when one thinks about it. How the buying audience relates to a particular person has a lot to do with whether or not they'll open up their wallets and fork over cash for an item. As such, how much a particular on-air personalitys' "likeability" translates into sales is a really big deal. That being said, QVC is a business, and what the sales numbers are has a great deal to do with contracts being (re)offered/extended/not offered. I don't think that Jill decided to just leave of her own accord. She's not "retiring", not if she's trying to plug her new Fb and Instagram pages. David Venable referred to her entering her "second act". That doesn't sound like retiring, to me. What it does sound like is that Jill's sales numbers had been declining to the point that she wasn't offered the same salary as before, and rather than take a huge pay cut (for probably the same amount of work), she decided to call it a day. Good luck to her, I hope she does will with her "second act" endeavor, whatever that may be. 

Spoiler

Occasional Contributor

I think she'll "re-emerge" at some point, as well. Probably with the same or similar marketing scheme that LR has erected for herself. She (Lisa) very likely makes the same (or more) kind of money that she did when she was a host, without the pressure of having to keep her sales numbers up. Not to mention being harassed and stalked.

I think that Jill would still be working at QVC had she did something similar to what Leah did, which was to reinvent herself. Leah's weight loss was quick and dramatic, and now look. Not only is she still at "the Q", but she's been given another timeslot hawking fashion and beauty products.

Jill could've/should've done the same thing. She could've gone on NutriSystem, announced it on air and even done a "weight-loss-along" gimmick, inviting viewers to sign up on a designated Fb page carved out just for that, to provide tips about using the program, exercise and wellnes, maybe even included an exercise apparatus or two, (like doing quick videos on the AeroPilates machine...Marjolin isn't on QVC anymore due to "soft sales", or the exercise bike, something of that nature). 

Oh well. Anyway, I think that she left because either: 1. she didn't get a new contract offered or 2. the contract she got was for a lot less money, and she walked. Whatever she's got planned for her "second act" as David Venable called it on her swan-song finale, I hope she does well. Nothing succeeds like success.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dooneygirls , we didn't LOSE Jill Bauer. That, I do believe would be if she died. She is still going to be where we can see her on fb.

I don't mean to be rude, but I really dislike the way this thread is titled. Every time I see it, I cringe. 

New Contributor

Ms Bauer stated that she was leaving QVC to spend much needed time with her family.

Too bad she wasn't more honest.  She's been hitting the broadcast network morning shows as a lifestyle/decorating coach.  Her latest endeavor was with Hoda on Friday, 1 Nov 2019, giving refrigerator storeage tips.  Not one of the products was something that has been a QVC item.  Good luck to her but honesty is the best policy.

Respected Contributor

@mjf1 wrote:

Ms Bauer stated that she was leaving QVC to spend much needed time with her family.

Too bad she wasn't more honest.  She's been hitting the broadcast network morning shows as a lifestyle/decorating coach.  Her latest endeavor was with Hoda on Friday, 1 Nov 2019, giving refrigerator storeage tips.  Not one of the products was something that has been a QVC item.  Good luck to her but honesty is the best policy.

Believe it or not, many of us are capable of spending time with family and being involved in endeavors. There is nothing dishonest about what she said.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky