Respected Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@Equuleus wrote:

People get stuck in a time warp.  Things change, time goes on.  You either go with the flow or move on  QVC will survive without Jill just as they did when past hosts went in other directions. 

It's not a time warp.

It's way of doing business that worked vs a way of doing business that is not working.

The people come and go.  Standards must remain.

Yes, "things change" but if it's not broken, don't fix it.  I think we are seeing a deadly combination.  People in management are trying to flex their weak muscles but they have no clue what to really do.

I think there is a lot of hand wringing going on in the corporate suite right now. 

@alarmclock Spot on! Agree 100%

Trusted Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Equuleus wrote:

People get stuck in a time warp.  Things change, time goes on.  You either go with the flow or move on  QVC will survive without Jill just as they did when past hosts went in other directions. 

It's not a time warp.

It's way of doing business that worked vs a way of doing business that is not working.

The people come and go.  Standards must remain.

Yes, "things change" but if it's not broken, don't fix it.  I think we are seeing a deadly combination.  People in management are trying to flex their weak muscles but they have no clue what to really do.

I think there is a lot of hand wringing going on in the corporate suite right now. 

@alarmclock Spot on! Agree 100%

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

Things change....life moves on. Corporate goals move in other directions. Many of us have been through that. Best wishes to Jill.

Frequent Contributor

I will really miss Jill.    She was the kind of person I would like to have as a friend.  I loved to watch her because she was very thorough in her presentation of whatever product she was showing and she didn't talk over the vendor. Although I wish she weren't leaving,   I admire her for putting her family above her career and wish her all the best.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

It's a great loss; QVC may not recover.  Smiley Happy   Just kidding.  Jill is good compared to the current host crop.  But her schoolmarm manner was a turn-off.

As a former teacher, this is a turn off to me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Loss of Jill Bauer

[ Edited ]

QVC was unique when it first began,  because the concept of TV shopping was so new. Now we have so many options on how and where to shop, QVC no longer has a monopoly on TV shopping. Guess they are trying to target a younger, different demographic...news flash...that is a huge mistake....younger people aren’t watching QVC, they are shopping online at other sites, and very little of QVC’s merchandise appeals to anyone under 40 IMHO. Asking $60-$80 for a polyester top from viewers on fixed incomes never ends well. 

Honored Contributor

People get to "know" a host.  Especially if they enjoy them and see them for 25 years. Yes, people move on.  But you miss them.  Especially now since professionalism is scarce, and items descriptions are rare.  I remember when I quit watching waiting 20 mins for them to show the inside of a handbag.  They never did.  I still miss Kathy Levine and Steve Bryant!, Judy Crowell.  i haven't watched QVC in 19 years.  I do buy online. Lots! 😽I used to watch 24/7 back in the hey day of qVC.  I do rememBer Jill's first night.  I think Jeff ( thanks for the Jeffrey) introduced her.  I remember her first pregnancy too.  She must have been newly married when she started QVC  because she spoke of her wedding often. Especially when they had Balboa Bakery, and the celebration cake.  She was always professional.  Just a cutie, and so sweet.

Honored Contributor

I agree that the Q's audience and buyers are over 40, way over 40.LOL I stopped liking JB's scthick years ago and have noticed she has been trying the hard sell lately too. IMO she has gained too much weight and was pressed to lose it. I think that's why Leah lost all that weight so quickly. Most people can't retire at 50 so Jill must have saved her big salary over the years. I think Leah is even older, where is she going to go. I can't imagine anyone would hire her at this point to be in front of the camera. The entertainment business is brutal for the ageing woman. I said in another thread that I can see MBR being next on the hatchet list, no wonder she was teary eyed on air when she heard Jill was exiting. I think Terri Conn will be the next MBR, I saw her early this morning on with JAI and Linea and she was excellent. I think a few of the new ones do have waht it takes.

Occasional Contributor

I will miss Jill. I watch less these days... products, vanity sizing (I am petite and thin), quality control issues and pros like Jill leaving are a turn off. As other bloggers have pointed out, Jill said she wasn't going anywhere in her 25th anniversary show. Now she is leaving. Something happened in between. One person said the contract negotiations are sometime in December or the first of the year. Maybe they didn't go well. Jill is a class act and very informative in her presentations but QVC is such a big, impersonal cooperation now.  I doubt the less than bottom-line mentality of many middle management appreciates or understands the importance of a good host or the attachments that make customers continue to tune in. The turnover in management is probably huge as well so they don't really understand how QVC superseded the other TV networks and became the success it did. They look at the bottom line, not what can set the company apart  in the past, qualities like class, Quality Control, excellent, informative hosts, ease of shopping and great customer service (if there are problems they are easily solved most of the time). Customer service newbies are not as well trained as they once were either. Apparently there is a huge turnover in this area.

In this era of massive competition online it would seem understanding one's demographics would help too. As many have noted, the QVC product lines are not for the twenty somethings. If that 's the demographic they are aiming at they will probably fail.  The younger generation is not going to watch QVC; they don't even watch TV. They shop on line but for products they like. If they can get them anywhere they probably will not choose QVC, especially with shipping costs. As for newer lines from outside, I can get Vince Camuto in Bloomies in petite sizes, on saie and not pay shipping. I don't need to watch someone try to convince me that a top in misses that is too big or long for me, and that isn’t cut correctly for my frame will look good on me.  As one person noted on another page programming has become stale too. One of Jill’s great qualities is that she would often point out when she thought an item would not be right for someone. One learned to trust her. QVC once was like a party. Fashion night was fun, an event, with pop up stores one could visit in NYC. There were so many designers doing special lines for them in jewelry and fashion. They took out adds in high-end magazines. They had great PR. They aimed at a classy up scale image while maintaining their staples like D@C. They hired hosts with varied backgrounds and ages. Most of that is all gone now.

The hosts look exhausted these days. They need to span three, and soon four channels.  I think difference they make when they are good is undervalued by bottom line mentality of middle management and disappointing contract negotiations might be part of why Jill decided to leave. I rarely buy a product, even on line at QVC or in other on line stores, that doesn't have a presentation video unless I already know the product I am buying. As many have said most of the new hosts are not as prepared. Their presentations are not as informative as they could be. There is probably no time to train them well or for them to learn these skills as the expansion of Mr. George is in full swing. Jill started at a time when the hosts had to research their products themselves so they really were familiar with them before presenting them. Apparently (this is before my time), in the early days, they didn't have brand ambassadors either. Lisa Robinson, mentioned in an interview one of the reasons why she left when she was on top that was that she couldn't keep up the pace forever. They work behind the scenes too and Lisa had responsibilities of product line development.  Many hosts, especially the older ones, look like they are working at the "happy" image these days, even David (they work that poor man to death looks strained.Bouncy Amy Stran looks exhausted too and the genuine enthusiasm she once had doesn't come across any more at least to me.

Apparently QVC became part of the Liberty Conglomerate (now Quarate Group) in 2003 but the change we are seeing was gradual. They have been expanding quickly ever since Michel George took over as CEO in 2010. He clearly doesn't know his products or his customer base. He heads up all the QVCs I think, even abroad, though I am not 100% sure of that. I think the people on top make a great deal of money with all these acquisitions and stock manipulations. They are not invested in the quality of the companies they own long term. They are merely poker chips to be bargained, traded and sold. 

I have been looking at the blog pages and there are a few of them. I had a difficult time getting back to the site that had eighteen pages. There were so many insightful comments there. I had to search for that site this morning. If I didn't know it was there I would not have found it. I am including that link here. I don't know if QVC is editing some of these pages. The eighteen page site has responses that are very well thought out and not entirely flattering to QVC. A six page and eight page site were all that I could find at first look and many of the informative, insightful, thought provoking comments were not there. I am including the link.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Q-Talk/Jill-s-leaving-QVC-whoa/td-p/5414493/page/2

GOOD LUCK JILL. YOU WILL BE MISSED. 

Esteemed Contributor

No host has ever looked exhausted to me.  Some of them, however, do seem bored.

Q3 is all repeats so no host works live.

Beauty IQ is all digital and only a handful of hosts will be featured.

There are still plenty of hosts on the roster, so no one appears to be particularly over worked at this point.