Honored Contributor

Re: Losing a beloved pet and never getting another one?

Im sorry for your loss.  One pet can never replace another, but that doesn't mean you still can't love a new pet. You have to be realistic, though.  I am crazy about our dog, we have a very strong bond.  We also have a cat that we love.  I would take more cats in a second (they're easy), but I know this dog will be our last.  There are a few things that factor into adding a new furkid to your family.  Moving forward with that would depend on the owner's age, health, what kind of pet, and long term care of the pet.  I/we know ourselves well enough to realize that we don't have he energy or desire to train a puppy at our age.  A younger person/couple/family may have a different point of view.  Another major thing to consider is that any new pets at this stage of our lives could in fact outlive us.  I know it would be easier for a cat to go to live with one of our children.  Again, this may not be a consideration for a younger person of family. 

Respected Contributor

I can always love a new pet.  I don't think of it as a replacement just a new one to love.  However, I will not replace the ones I have as they pass away.  I am 67 and ready to only have to worry about myself. If you take good care of your pets it is a lot of work and expense and they limit your travel and enjoyment of traveling.  For me it is time to stop. 

Super Contributor

We all grieve differently, but many years ago I figured out that, for me, getting another pet quickly after one passes is the best medicine for me.

When my Boston died many years ago, I sobbed for hours every night for about 3 months when I went to bed ... she'd slept in bed with me and snored ... the silence was deafening after she passed. I had other dogs at the time who I loved dearly, but I still couldn't snap out of the grief. I finally decided to get another dog and found that getting the new dog used to our family and our routine made me focus on something new and happy, instead of focusing on the loss. Ever since then, I've gotten a new dog shortly after losing one.

And it's not just dogs. Last Monday I had to have my Goffin Cockatoo put down - I brought home 2 new birds on Thursday morning. I couldn't bear to get another Goffin, but having the new birds has given me, my husband and our other bird something new to focus on ... instead of looking at the empty cage.

Respected Contributor

I understand that awful pain...had to say goodbye to my girl of 15yrs a loving wonderful King Charles Cavalier Spaniel. It's been several yrs now and I just don't want to ever go thru that agony again. Plus there has been so much death in my family for the past 5yrs beginning with my Mom and just yesterday with my niece's husband...they were in a terrible car accident...its a miracle she is alive.

Just when I thought things might calmed down another tragedy hit...2 awful ones just this yr...february was another both young girls 16yrs of age.

Too much sadness ...my oldest boy got a French bulldog puppy named Hank...I visit him and that fills a place in my heart but I don't want another one...yet anyway.
Trusted Contributor

When I lost my Cody over a year ago I thought I'd never ever get another dog, especially since I am in my late 70's.  However, my niece was fostering a 10-12 year old beagle from S. Carolina and I just fell in love with that sweet face when he came to visit.  So--------he came back, along with his beds and food and treats and here he stays.  Figure we'll just get old together :-).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last Spring, I lost both my cats, one after the other: Percy, who had been ailing for about a year, and his co-cat Claire (seen as my sign-in avatar). Both required IV hydration at home (fluids by needle; it only took a minute or two) during their last weeks, and with both during their final weeks there were many good days but also there came a day with each that I realized they had lost too much ground to stabilize.

When Percy died in April, Claire just faded away---as sweet and loving as ever, she almost vanished into thin air.  Always petite (her top weight was 5 1/2 lbs), she was only 3 lbs the day she died and the vet told me she could no longer maintain her body temperature. Both passed in my arms very peacefully, but that didn't help. I am still so sad, not for their lives (which were happy) but I just miss them so much. I am not sure about adopting again.  After my first cat's death, I did not adopt for a year and a half; perhaps I'll feel differently in some months from now.  Right now, it is those two I mourn, and miss.  I don't think it would be fair to adopt another right now.

Esteemed Contributor

I have usually had more than one cat at a time, so I was heart broken, but there was always the other cat to comfort me and cuddle with. However, back in 2013 I lost my remaining cat to colon tumor, and I told myself I was done...that I  couldn't go through the loss yet again. I have four little urns with their ashes that represent almost 30 years with my pets altogether. They will be buried with me. So my Sophie died in September, 2013, and she was to be my last cat. Guess how long it lasted? February, 2014. I adopted two kitties just under a year old. One was a scared little cat, a tuxedo) who hid his face as I held him. The other was a ginger Tom whose personality was hilarious, and unbeknownst to me at the time, he was born in my hometown on my birthday and was shipped with his litter to a shelter in my current town. I discovered this in looking at his chip papers. So I decided it was meant to be and hoped that the ginger would help bring out the tuxedo. They love each other, and they bring me smiles every single day. In fact, I have wondered if those two may be reincarnations of two of my other cats.

Respected Contributor

We had our beloved, almost 16 year old Cocker Spaniel put to sleep in 7/17.  This is the longest we've ever gone throughout our 47 year marriage without a dog.  I miss the companionship terribly but we no longer have to worry about getting home to let the dog out. We've been able to pick up and go whenever.  I have a feeling we will remain petless.

Respected Contributor

We've never been more than 2-3 weeks between losing a pet and adopting another one. You can never "replace" a beloved pet, but adopting another filled the empty spot in our hearts and our home. Each has had their own personality and just walked right into our hearts!

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz

My precious American Cocker Spaniel of 15 years crossed the Rainbow Bridge 1 1/2 years ago.  I will not adopt again - not only b/c I was so heartbroken by her passing (we were very close), but b/c at this stage in life I don't want to leave a pet behind.  

Instead, I donate to several shelters and have my amazon account linked to one in NJ.  Every time I purchase from them, a percentage goes to the shelter.

Miss her so very much.  Smiley Sad

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown