Respected Contributor

Re: Losing a beloved pet and never getting another one?

Losing a pet is so difficult-very sorry for your loss.  We have had 6 dogs and 2 cats throughout our 39 year marriage.  When our beloved golden passed away I was against getting another dog.  We waited several years and finally adopted a new golden pup.  The one who passed was an angel and the one we adopted was a terror!  That being said- the “terror” matured into a loving sweetheart and we had her for 13 plus years.  Everyone reacts differently-go with your instincts-love might be out there again for you-good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2..............God will bless you for being such a wonderful lady.  Thank you for helping the furbabies in their time of great need.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

I have been worrying about what I'd do when I lose my precious 13 year old beagle.  Because of my age, I don't think that I will rescue another dog.  I have no one in my life who would be able or willing to take my dog when I pass away. If only I could predict my future.  I know that I will be terribly lonely without a dog.  I try to make the most of every day with my girl now.

If you are concerned about your dog outliving you - please consider a local rescue group.

We got our dog through Collie Rescue. And when an owner passes on, the Collie Rescue group will take the dog and find a home for the dog. I know other Rescue Groups in our area do the same for dogs and cats.

In the mean time - enjoy your Beagle.

Respected Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

Has anyone else been so heart broken over the loss of a pet that they never got another one?

Yes.  My Shetland Sheepdog, Brandy, has been gone for a couple of  years now. Not a day goes by I don't think of her and miss her.  My heart still aches.  Even though I love animals, I can't get another.

Respected Contributor

Yes.  Fourteen and a half years ago I lost the last of my three cats.  She was 18 as were the other 2 who had died a few years before.  I was definitely heartbroken, depressed, couldn't stop crying, etc.  My dear husband took me to Pet Smart kicking and screaming and we adopted two darling cats who are now 14 1/2 years old.  They're the loves of my life and so happy he "made" me do it.  If you love them you should always have a pet.  You're not replacing your beloved pet who died.  Just giving your love - and a good home - to another one.  

Esteemed Contributor

We always seemed to have had another when one died.  We grieved (and still do) those who left but felt the one remaining needed a "playmate."  That changed with the most recent one who died in 2014.  I will not get another one.  It takes everything I have to stand by that because so many are in need of a home.

His "playmate" is here and has mellowed nicely with age.  That may sound terrible, but what I mean is she's become more affectionate and we seem to understand each other better.  She'll wake me gently in the morning and understands when I say "Just a little bit more" and waits for me to get up.  

I'm glad she's here.  There are rare days when she's the reason I get out of bed.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

Yes . I had a beagel that passed about 15 years ago and I said I would never get another pet because it is so hard when they pass. My mom had a cat that I had gotten close to and it passed last November.  I miss both pets a lot. It's really hard when you lose them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sue98, I cannot imagine not getting another pet, as I feel that is the way to honor the ones that have passed.  That doesn't mean that you will love them in the same way, and it doesn't mean that you run out and get another one.

I miss my beautiful Darcy every day and will get another dog, but it will be different.  Also, as I get older, I want a smaller dog that I can easily pick up, and I only adopt seniors.

My advice, if someone asks, is to adopt seniors and not puppies, because everyone loves a puppy but they are a lot of work.  I also don't believe that it is fair to adopt a puppy when you are older, which I am.'

Ultimately, you have to do what is in your heart.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I never got another dog after childhood as it was too hard to say goodbye.

I did get a pair of bunnies (sisters) when I was in my 20s and they lived 11 and 12 years.  They had such wonderful personalities and I didn't think I could duplicate that, plus the cost of exotic care is so much more than cats and dogs.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@mac116

@Sweet Caroline 1

You would be a dream come true for animal rescue groups. They would love for you to foster a pet as long as you are able and  be willing to take the pet back if something were to happen to you. You would be giving  a pet a chance at a great home and filling your life with the love of a pet. You might want to talk with your vet about good rescue groups in your area. Also there are groups that sponsor sanctuary pets.

doxie