Valued Contributor

Re: Losing a beloved pet and never getting another one?

My sister and bil adopted a yellow lab just as you relate, from an older couple moving to a place that could not accommodate pets ...  he was the best dog ever and my bil’s best buddy !!

Honored Contributor

@Sue98

No! Heart broken? Yes! We have lost many over several decades. Most of our furry family members found us. Without pets, our lives would have a very big empty spot. At our advancing ages, we will not be getting any young kittens or puppies, because we want to make sure they always have us in their lives.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No!     After loosing our first dog we had together, my SO was so heartbroken that he did not want another. I always had pets and tried to live without a dog but after a year he saw how unhappy I was and then another came into our lives.  It seems something always brings another our way under odd circumstances and like others stated it's the last pet that guides the next to us.  The last one we got was shown to us in a dream with our other dog who we had to put down a few months earlier standing there with a black dog in the background and every few days it got closer and closer until the black dog was in the front.  I was searching online for an adoptable dog in our area when this black dog appeared on the screen but this dog was a southern dog and not local.  It happened twice and the rest is history.  We drove down to get her.  I'll suffer the heartbreak since it's so worth it considering all the love and happiness they bring you.    

Honored Contributor

I lost my poodle several years ago and while she was sick I couldn't find anyone to help me diagnose what was wrong or what to do about it.

I never want to be in such a helpless position again so I figured I'd let others be pet owners from now on. Apparently I am not good at it when serious health issues arise and I will never go through that again.

Thank you to those of you who can and do adopt again.
Honored Contributor

Last week i had to let my sweet kooper go ,after sharing my life with him for 15 years and 8 months, i miss that sweet boy, he is in my picture on here, i have two more goldens ,spirit,and cambridge ,i can tell you after a lifetime of loving my dogs, and having to say goodbye,my life would be empty with out them, i agree there are so very many dogs that need a good,loving home.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mac116 wrote:

I have been worrying about what I'd do when I lose my precious 13 year old beagle.  Because of my age, I don't think that I will rescue another dog.  I have no one in my life who would be able or willing to take my dog when I pass away. If only I could predict my future.  I know that I will be terribly lonely without a dog.  I try to make the most of every day with my girl now.

mac116, I also worry about adopting more pets at an older age.  I got this idea, if I end up without any pets, I could pet sit for people going out of town.  They would be in good and loving hands.  Heart  But if it's God's will to send us another pet, then it's out of our hands.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Last week i had to let my sweet kooper go ,after sharing my life with him for 15 years and 8 months, i miss that sweet boy, he is in my picture on here, i have two more goldens ,spirit,and cambridge ,i can tell you after a lifetime of loving my dogs, and having to say goodbye,my life would be empty with out them, i agree there are so very many dogs that need a good,loving home.

goldensrbest, I'm very sorry for your recent loss.  For years I have had multiple dogs so that my arms would never be empty.  They just pop into my life at chance.  My latest dog is a chocolate lab that belonged to my neighbor that passed away. His family didn't want him so he is now a part of my happy pack.  God has Kooper, no question in my mind that he loves his creatures and brings them back home.  Keep your arms full, love SC

Honored Contributor

we have lost our babies before and the pain was tremendous.  due to age now.....we know that if the time comes again that if we have to go thru that again, for the good of the little love on 4 legs, we will pass.  i need to be healthy enough to do them justice and take care of them correctly.  this one, will be our last. it will be very lonely for me. 

Honored Contributor

I feel that eventually getting another pet helps with grieving. I lost my two 16 year old cats within 3 weeks of each other several years ago. I was deep in depression and missing them so very much. My home was so empty. I waited about 6 months and adopted 2 kittens. They have been the (new) light of my life. They are now 8 years old.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I was in my 60s before I got my first pet...a rescue dog.  He changed my life and I dread the day he has to go.  I'm not sure I could get another dog after losing him.  My heart would be too broken.  Never say never though; I never know what I may do.