Frequent Contributor

Re: Losing a beloved pet and never getting another one?

We had our beloved BUSTER for 10 years and 2 months before he had to be relieved of his constant pain.   We loved him and he loved us.  He understood everything we said, had our  routines down to a pat, had his own room, knew what time of night I would go walking and he would use the bathroom, he was perfect for us.  We lost him last August 8, 2017 and we still grieve his absence.  We will never get another.  We know he was meant for us because he had our personalities, another probably wouldn't.  Plus we are elderly, and we would not have anyone to take our  pet in and love it like we would. 

Respected Contributor

I've been a cat mom for many, many years.  I've always waited about a month when one cat passed away before I would start looking for a new one to adopt/rescue.  But when my 19 year old cat had to be put down I waited several months before I started looking for a new cat.  My cat now is 7 and I hope she'll be with me for many years.  I adopted her from the local humane society when she was 8 months old. 

Valued Contributor

I had the sweetest cocker spaniel miss Abigail. I would talk to her and she would listen intently. Never barked it was a lot of effort. We rescued her at age 2. I can still see her looking at me  the dreaded day as  I could no longer care for her due to hip problems and I could no longer lift her. It was another very sad day that year. I still see her face 4 years later. No more dogs for me. We had three others during our years and two cats. 

Honored Contributor

We lost our beautiful Levi an American Bulldog a year and two days ago.  He had so many antics, just thinking of them bring a tear.

Smokey Blu that you see in "Outfit Of The Day" has already brought so much to us in the short months we have been fortunate to have him.  What a doll.

I totally agree with @Mom2Dogs.  I'll have those beautiful eyes as long as I can give quality care.

Frequent Contributor

I had to let my cat Zeus go on 9/30. He was only 7 but whatever hit him, hit him so hard and fast. I’m still so angry over this. Mostly I’m upset that I didn’t realize he was so sick until it was too late. He only started acting differently a few days before I lost him. There’s just so much sadness there and so much regret that I don’t know what I’ll do. I have other pets, and I’ve always had a house full of strays/rescues/shelter pets but it NEVER makes it easier to have to let one go. Never. I take it hard and personally every time. Zeus was the second cat I’ve lost in just over a year. My other boy was 18 and was experiencing organ failure, so I have no regret letting him go. Just sadness there too since we were together for so long- I was 22 when I adopted him and 40 when he left me. He was my family. All my pets are my family. I’ve always taken in animals, all kinds, no hesitation. But now? I really don’t know if my heart can handle the loss anymore.
Respected Contributor

@Sue98 I'm so sorrry for your loss. We had 2 dogs at the same time. One a Labradoodle and a Yorkie. They both lived unti 18 and 19 years old. The only problem was, we had to put them to sleep to stop their suffering. Such a hard decision but the doctor said it was time, For years I felt terrible guilt. It has been 30 years or more and I still have nightmares sometimes. I could not bring myself to get another dog. My husband thought maybe but them said no also. This may be creepy but I have a lock of hair of both of them and a sweater of one. My daughter has a Shiba Inu, so we still have a dog in our family. I miss them every day. I could only be there for the first passing. I couldn't take puttting down our second dog. Just too painful. My husband was there for him. Some people buy a dog right away, not me. I cried and didn't eat for two weeks for each dog. Luckily, my boss was understanding. My patients weren't always but too bad for them. Everyone has to do what's best for them.

Again, I'm soo sorry for your loss.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

I could not imagine my life without a puppy dog. Yes, I needed time to grieve before rushing out to get another one, but like @Kachina624, I’ve always had 2. I only have one now and someday when he passes away...I just don’t want to think about it. ❤️🐶

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

I lost my 1st dog - a white female lhasa - in 2008. She was 12-1/2yrs old. The following day I went on-line to Petfinders and connected with a woman who raised lhasas in her home - around 2 to 3 litters a year. She posted a few pics of the puppies and they were 4 weeks old. I chose one white female and had to wait the longest 4 weeks - until the puppy was 2 months old. MaryAnne, the breeder, lived 2-1/2 hours from me - she and her husband drove my new baby to my house and it's been the best 10 years. This lhasa has been very healthy - and still is - and brings me so much love and joy - every day. I'm not married and have no family ---- and I, honestly, couldn't survive without her at my side 24/7.

Trusted Contributor

Yes it took us over a year to grieve and then we were able to open our hearts to love another dog again. So glad we did as we have so much love to still give another dog. But it just took time. 

Valued Contributor

Perfectly said ...  I loved all my pets beyond words and cried my eyes out when I had to lose one ... but when you go and look at some potential adoptee at the shelter, your heart melts.  It didn’t take the place of my other pets ... never will ... BUT your heart just accepts the new pet as a new adventure ... never a replacement.  Imagine if we picked our human loved ones that way ...  one at a time ...  pretty lonely !!