Valued Contributor

Re: Losing a beloved pet and never getting another one?

my dog is sick with cancer and once he goes I know I will miss him a lot. but I will not be getting any more pets. I am not home that much at home so I do not want a pet to be home all day plus if I go out of town got to find someone to watch them. Plus my dog I have now get very upset when you take him to the groomer and a lot of people cannot handle him. So I do not want to deal with another picky pet. 

Honored Contributor

After I lost my Siamese cat, Simone, it was 3 months or so before I got another cat.  Simone was 19-1/2 years old so we were together a very long time.  I was deeply saddened but I opened my heart to another girl and I love her so very much.  She brings much joy to my heart and I am so glad I have her.  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

DH and I have put down 2 dogs and one died at the vet's office - totally heartbreaking but our house is not a home with out a dog....our current dog is just so darn cute and probably the best behaved dog we have ever had...we will probably always have a dog as long as we can care for it properly.....

Trusted Contributor

I have been worrying about what I'd do when I lose my precious 13 year old beagle.  Because of my age, I don't think that I will rescue another dog.  I have no one in my life who would be able or willing to take my dog when I pass away. If only I could predict my future.  I know that I will be terribly lonely without a dog.  I try to make the most of every day with my girl now.

Honored Contributor

I had a beautiful Samoyed for 14 years.  I was so heart broken when I had to help him pass that I didn't want another pet.

Well, 10 years later I got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy and then 11 months   later, I got another one.  So, now I have two of them.

They, like most CKCS have many health issues.  We do what we have to keep them going.  These two little dogs have stolen our hearts....they are more loved than any other pets we have ever had.

They are almost 7 and  8 years old.  When they are gone, we will not be getting another pet.  Reasoning, we don't want to out live our pets and leave them all alone.

Respected Contributor

We lost our first dog in 2006. From the time we adopted him til his death 11 years later, he was such a bad boy. A lover, but naughty. We missed him so much and swore “no more”. Too painful. But a year later we adopted again. Our old girl is perfect and we swear our naughty boy sent us a “good one” to make up for his shenanigans.  

We say we will not adopt again after this one dies, but if you google how many animals are euthanized a day, you will understand why we most likely will

Honored Contributor

We’ve loved them and lost them but after a little time, we’re ready to open our hearts and home to another furry baby. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss @Sue98.  I know that pain far too well; each time I lose a dog my heart is broken.  But I continue to get another one because my home is not complete without a dog.  Losing them is such a horrible, awful experience, but having them brings such joy and happiness that I can't imagine not having one (or, in my case, two).  

I hope you find peace.  

Trusted Contributor

I have cats and this is why I'll always have two. Much easier when one passes to have another one to come home to. When the time is right I get a new one and I try not to wait too long because I don't want the lone one to get too used to being alone.

My last cat was the greatest cat ever. I tell my new cat he was sent by him. About a month after the old guy passed I felt compelled to look at the shelter website and there was a tiny kitty that I knew was meant to be mine. He's turned out to be the sweetest thing, much like his late brother, which was just what I needed.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've always had from 2-4 (more than 2 is really too many) doxies ever since we married 35 years ago. Three years ago our bad boy: Darth Vader, passed unexpectedly passed.  We were away for weekend, so our adult son, and his three year old took Darth to ve where he was put down.  My Grandson was really traumatized by the loss so we replaced him immediately with our little sweetheart, Lucy.  I always tell my grandson that Darth Angel sent us Lucy.  I think it's true.