Trusted Contributor

Re: Losing a beloved pet and never getting another one?

Sue:

In 2012 we lost the sweetest girl in the world and I said that’s it! The heart break was just too much. Then in 2016 a bunch (13) rescue fur babies needed a home.  

Pops (my husband) went up to Denver really early and brought home the biggest boy. He was 9 weeks old and so beautiful. The moment Pops brought him in – it was over, he was family. He’s 167 lbs now and a character especially with his brother an older cat. They eat, sleep, and mess with each other. Most importantly, I can’t imagine our lives without him.

It’s hard to bring in a new family member, you kinda feel like your cheating on the baby who has passed on. You’re not, Sue.

I know your pain.  It will be 1 year on Dec 26th, that I put down my beloved companion of 15 years, Rudy.  He was a 7lb Yorkie, that was always at my side.  When I had to put him down, my world crumbled.  I am still grieving his loss.  I swore I would never go through this pain again....so no more pets for me.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I lost my Lilac-Point cat in June, the love of my life (at age 16) ... and last month had my name on a list for another Himalayan which was to born in October.  The next week, my cocker spaniel tore her ACL which was the expense of 10 Himalayans.  I took my name off the kitten waiting list.  I am done.  My heart and wallet cannot take it anymore.

Regular Contributor

I know how this feels. We lost our beloved dog almost a year ago. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her. I know another dog doesn't replace another, but I felt very fortunate that we had another dog to come home to. We are also thinking of adding another older dog, a rescue, to our family.