Respected Contributor

ters or speakers who use HER or HIM as the subject of Re: Lose/Loose-today's mini, unimportant rant

Using HER or HIM as the subject of a sentence drives me crazy.

Her and her mother are going to the show.

Him and his girlfriend are getting married.

Respected Contributor

Re: ters or speakers who use HER or HIM as the subject of Re: Lose/Loose-today's mini, unimportant

@muttmom wrote:

Using HER or HIM as the subject of a sentence drives me crazy.

Her and her mother are going to the show.

Him and his girlfriend are getting married.

I'm guilty as charged. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Lose/Loose-today's mini, unimportant rant

Personally, I LOOSE weight. If I'm eating a ton of refined carbs, it's a sure thing that weight will stick TIGHT, and add up.

If I eat low carb, lots of veggies and high quality protein and low carb fruit, that doggone fat gets loose and goes away.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

And yes, I know we have way more important things in our lives to focus on and yes, if this is the only thing to be irritated about aren't we lucky, but....

For the love of Mike, the misuse of "lose" and loose".

I've been on Facebook alot lately, as well as other sites, reading various things and the associated comments, and I see "lose" and "loose" used incorrectly all the time.  I don't get it.

You lose your keys.  You lose weight.  You lose track of time.  You are losing weight.  You are losing track of time.

Your clothes are too loose because you've lost weight.  This doorknob is too loose.

I don't know why this one gets to me, but it does.

Any others anyone?

@gidgetgh

I get it . . . and it drives me crazy too!  The thing is I've never seen it before the last couple of years and I've lived a long time. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Like it or not, someone who consistently uses incorrect grammar and spelling stands out to those who use correct grammar and spelling.

Whether anything is said to the person or not, the impression has been made. So, whether someone posts OMG hahaha or not, people are still thinking it.

Is that tacky and mean too, like "lusting in your heart?" 😜

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

And yes, I know we have way more important things in our lives to focus on and yes, if this is the only thing to be irritated about aren't we lucky, but....

For the love of Mike, the misuse of "lose" and loose".

I've been on Facebook alot lately, as well as other sites, reading various things and the associated comments, and I see "lose" and "loose" used incorrectly all the time.  I don't get it.

You lose your keys.  You lose weight.  You lose track of time.  You are losing weight.  You are losing track of time.

Your clothes are too loose because you've lost weight.  This doorknob is too loose.

I don't know why this one gets to me, but it does.

Any others anyone?

Yes, it drives me crazy too. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I have trouble with affect and effect.

Honored Contributor

Daisy wrote:

Maybe this will help - affect is more of a verb - e.g. 'how will that affect you?'.

Conversely, using 'effect', you would say 'it doesn't have much of an effect on me'.

HTH  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

A lot of people have trouble with 'you're' and 'your.'

On a forum, I really don't care about improper usage.
Respected Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

Me, too.  I was told to remember that affect is the cause, effect is the result.  Or affect verb, effect noun.  I still second guess it sometimes.  Just say 'impact' lol