Esteemed Contributor

Los Angeles to Host 2028 Summer Olympics!!!!

According to the L.A. Times, L.A. will host the 2028 Summer Olympics.

Better make your hotel reservations now! *lol*

Respected Contributor

Re: Los Angeles to Host 2028 Summer Olympics!!!!

You can bet the residents of LA aren't that happy - all they need is more traffic!  They should just shut the city down for that time period. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, no!  Does any area really make all the money they think they will when they host these events?  Doesn't LA already have more than enough traffic?  At least it didn't end up on DC!!!!!  Good luck, LA!  Hope it works out well for everyone!

Honored Contributor

L.A. has hosted the Olympics in 1932 & 1984.  I was there in 1984 as I have family in Cally.  As far as traffic, it was "normal" during the "84" games = parking lot highways. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Too much congestion for me...

Respected Contributor

Locals stayed out of the way. It wasn't a problem.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

You can bet the residents of LA aren't that happy - all they need is more traffic!  They should just shut the city down for that time period. 

In 1984, they pretty much did just that in the central areas that had event venues. State and county govt offices were rotatingly closed and every employed person or employer, public or private sector, was encouraged to: go on vacation during the Games, close the business, take public transportation and whatever else not drive, not put cars on the road. And they did. And it worked. It actually did. That aspect of the 1984 Games was a success.

But I doubt it would have worked in 2016, when I left. And the only way it would work in 2028 is with massive improvements, county-wide (not just city-wide) to mass transit. I don't see the money for that.

Much of the infrastructure - the venues and stadiums, the athletes' housing, etc - they already have. Transportation is the single biggest issue.

I went to two equestrian events and saw the US team and individual riders win gold and silver medals. That was very cool. My housemates had tickets to the closing ceremonies and to the cycling in the velodrome.

The original stadium (my mother remembered the 1932 Games) was renovated for the 1984 games. It will likely be renovated again, out of sentiment, for the future games. It's still in use for college football games now.

IMG_1088.JPGIMG_1089.JPG

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I feel sorry for any city that hosts the games in this day and age.  The financial burden is huge and security is a nightmare.  If I was a cop, I'd find a job elsewhere.  

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I feel sorry for any city that hosts the games in this day and age.  The financial burden is huge and security is a nightmare.  If I was a cop, I'd find a job elsewhere.  

Interestingly, in 1984 several of the major venues were in areas far more "dangerous" and crime-ridden than the same areas are now. From the 60s on through the 80s, you wouldn't get out of your car in broad daylight to pump gas. Not so today, or even close. But yes, in 1984 there were huge amounts of LE everywhere. Who knows - maybe in 2028 everyone will be chipped or mind-controlled with tranquilizers . It could be "1984" in 2028 - just off a few years ;-)

As for the cost - absolutely agree. But if any city has access to the private coffers of the rich and famous, LA does. The majority of the cost of the 1984 games was privately funded. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I have been to three olympics, including LA.  We went to boxing and water polo and enjoyed the experience.  LA is a great choice (and I think they even made some money in 1984) and we didn't see traffic as a problem; the biggest problem is how expensive the tickets are!!!