Esteemed Contributor

Re: Los Angeles to Host 2028 Summer Olympics!!!!

A lot will probably change security wise at airports, in the next eleven years.

For all I know, they'll have passengers wear hospital gowns, and can only bring a toiletry bags, and we'll be scanned with lasers.

But, can you imagine what it's going to be like to fly in and out of LAX right before, during and after the Olympics?

All I can say is, make sure that you get to the airport in plenty of time, hours even, to make your flight, and don't be a late-runner, because you just might find that they have given your seat away, and won't let you on.

Respected Contributor

as an LA resident who lived through 1984 i am glad i won't be here for this - L A was a different city entirely back then. anyway  i will soon be moving to Southeast for a million different reasons, one being the horrendous traffic here.

Respected Contributor

I think the Olympics have become very cumbersome and $$$$$ for any city that hosts them.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I live an hour south of Vancouver, BC.

When the Winter Olympics were there a few years back, I lived right at the border.

I remember everyone along the I-5 corridor getting worked up about it ahead of time.

People were anticipating a lot of thru traffic, delays at the border, etc.

Nothing happened. It was dead as a doornail.  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Forgetaboutit......I live an hour south of LA....bleckhhhh.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

I live an hour south of Vancouver, BC.

When the Winter Olympics were there a few years back, I lived right at the border.

I remember everyone along the I-5 corridor getting worked up about it ahead of time.

People were anticipating a lot of thru traffic, delays at the border, etc.

Nothing happened. It was dead as a doornail.  Smiley Happy

it wasn't as bad as people expected here in LA in 1984 either. of course a lot of people rented out their houses and fled  - but now we are choking as a consequence of poor and late decisions on bus/subway systems, outdated and inadequate freeways,all of which make it a challenge to navigate the city.  and as is well-known, it is huuuuuuge, geographically.  i do think the city has much of the infrastructure already in place. the city is already deep in debt so i pray leadership doesn't overextend.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

as an LA resident who lived through 1984 i am glad i won't be here for this - L A was a different city entirely back then. anyway  i will soon be moving to Southeast for a million different reasons, one being the horrendous traffic here.

I visited my son in North Hollywood a few weeks ago. He is close to Universal and Warner Bros., where he sometimes works as a film editor.

"Close" is a relative term! What looked on a map like an easy 10 minute drive turned into 40 minutes...and we weren't even going during rush hour (my son said that EVERY hour is basically rush hour in LA).

The freeway traffic, complete with motorcycles weaving in and out - drove me crazy!

I can't imagine why they don't have more trains and public transportation.

Respected Contributor

@terrier3    !!!  it's a challenge, right?  let's just say we have not been well-served in terms of good forward planning (!!).  i hope you enjoyed your visit nevertheless.  did you get to the new Harry Potter installation or the observatory or anything interesting to you?

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@terrier3    !!!  it's a challenge, right?  let's just say we have not been well-served in terms of good forward planning (!!).  i hope you enjoyed your visit nevertheless.  did you get to the new Harry Potter installation or the observatory or anything interesting to you?

We went to Universal for a behind the scenes "tour" where my son worked on a show. We ate at craft services and the trolley car from the amusement park waved at US!!!

We went to Disneyland and California Adventure the next day, then a morning hike at the Griffith Observatory. We went fairly early on a day that got into the 90s - it was a fantastic workout.

We spent a day at Solvang and the Firestone Winery...we both love "Sideways" and wanted to see the Ostrich Farm, the windmills and The Hitching Post restaurant. I wish we had stayed there overnight to take advantage of all the tasting rooms in the town.

An edit doctor came into town to work with my son on his last movie that was shot in Thailand, so I had a day by his pool while they worked in my son's home studio.

It's an interesting city - very strange to someone from the Northeast in terms of everything from the topography of the land, the vegetation, the home styles...it's ALL different.

I think I'd go nuts not being able to walk easily to places...and I didn't drive once on a freeway. I flew in and out of Burbank and I'm glad that I did. I didn't have to drive on a freeway to get to my son's place!

Respected Contributor

@terrier3   well you covered a lot of ground.  the city is an experience - something for everyone.  i live in an area that is actually neighborhoody -  i can walk to my supermarket, Trader Joe's, have a wonderful bike path next to the new Orange bus line, etc -  but it is a car city.  and there is no getting around the mammoth size of it.  always fun to head up to Santa Barbara or down to the beach towns for cooler weather - do you know that not far from here at Mammoth Mountain they are just now closing down their ski slopes.  !!  the storms we had dumped so much snow that it was a very long season.  now that's incredible.  glad you had a good trip.