Esteemed Contributor

In the news, yet another in air flight incident.  This time it was an American Airline Flight from LA to Hawaii.  Man who began acting "strange" was duct taped to his seat until the military accompanied aircraft landed safely in Hawaii.

Does anyone believe these things have been going on for years but we're just becoming so sensitive to these issues because of "instant information?"  I was discussing his with my son and his girlfriend and I don't think so.  Some of these kinds of stories would have made headlines, despite the advent of telephone cameras.

What's going on with us as a society?  Civility seems to be disappearing for many.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hawaii-bound-passengers-noticed-unruly-man-before-take-off/ar-BBBk8...

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

There is no civility anymore.  Just read these forums or watch the news ...........

Esteemed Contributor

I believe their is civility but hyping stories and constantly reporting anything that may look bad or everyday incidents that happen as first rate news is just the norm.  Gets people thinking we are falling apart. 

I ignore most of the so called news because most of it is not news, just personalities in trouble or celebs in situation.  I never would have thought that entertainment news would matter to anyone or be something to be knowledgeable about. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I think in-flight incidents are escalating for two reasons:

1.The cramped conditions under which passengers are required to sit for hours.  Where else do you have to rub thighs with an obnoxious stranger while practically having the one in front of you lounging in your lap?   The airlines, in their greed, brought this on themselves. 

2.  The insistence of the airlines in earning a few extra bucks by serving (often over-serving) alcohol.  There are almost daily instances of planes having to be diverted because someone becomes loud and boisterous.  Combine this with #1 and the problem is amplified.  If a person can't be alcohol-free for the duration of a flight, he has a serious problem.   Who wants to sit crammed up against a drunk who has lost his inhibitions?  Obviously this is also the fault of the airlines. 

Most of the problems are airline-generated.  I have little sympathy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

1.The cramped conditions under which passengers are required to sit for hours.  Where else do you have to rub thighs with an obnoxious stranger while practically having the one in front of you lounging in your lap?   The airlines, in their greed, brought this on themselves. 

2.  The insistence of the airlines in earning a few extra bucks by serving (often over-serving) alcohol.  There are almost daily instances of planes having to be diverted because someone becomes loud and boisterous.  Combine this with #1 and the problem is amplified.  If a person can't be alcohol-free for the duration of a flight, he has a serious problem.   Who wants to sit crammed up against a drunk who has lost his inhibitions?  Obviously this is also the fault of the airlines. 

Wow, that is spot on! @Kachina624

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis I think it's a combo of media soaked coverage of airline incidents as of late, and current societal mores.  It is not getting any better IMO.  I just keep my head down, and teach my boy to do right.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

There is no civility anymore.  Just read these forums or watch the news ...........

@DiAnne, I agree.  We do seem to be losing our patience with one another on a grand scale.  Where I live, there is so much "me first" me, me, me", displayed very prominently.  It's disgusting and I don't think I'll ever get used to this kind of mindset.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624, interesting perspective.  I believe sometimes folks come on board already inebriated from alcohol or other substances.  I wonder how man drinks per person are allowed?  I suppose if they want to make $$ they won't have a limit like some bar owners.  In many areas, if a bartender is not careful; he can be held accountable for someone leaving his establishment drunk (if a person drunkedness) results in harm.  On an airline there is no where to go.

Something to think about for sure.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@itiswhatitis I think it's a combo of media soaked coverage of airline incidents as of late, and current societal mores.  It is not getting any better IMO.  I just keep my head down, and teach my boy to do right.

@MickD another good point.  That's what's important.  Hopefully these instances can be learning lessons for those coming up.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

These stories are nothing new.

'The Sky Is Falling' people think otherwise, but nope.

Just do a quick Google search on

'airline passenger horror stories' or

'airline passengers behaving badly history'.

Crazy is nothing new.