Honored Contributor

Re: Lori & Felicity Show Heads to Court

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

I guess Dr. Dre's $70 million contribution lead to his daughter's independent admission to USC LOL.......

At this time, the daughter didn’t immorally cheat on her tests and/or

he didn’t illegally use the donation as a Tax Shelter,

there’s nothing wrong with this scenario. 

If there’s anyone/anything wrong, it would be the school 

for accepting a qualified individual on influence alone. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, hard to see a quid pro quo with Dre's daughter.

I think his donation was made in 2013.  Plus, it was part of a large, $6 billion private fund raising campaign by USC.

So, let's trace all $6 billion and see whose kid got in, years later.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

A host on a talk show was saying how he could see a Reality Show down the line for the Loughlin family.  I certainly hope not.  They should not be allowed to profit on their criminal behavior.

Apparently a reality show was offered them a while back and they turned it down... At the time, however, she had a career... We'll see if it crops up again... She noted on a video that when they turned it down previously, it was a matter of privacy and of them not being that interesting... My how things have changed... Personally, I still don't find her interesting, but this situation is... As for privacy, well, that's shot to heck... It also seems likely her dear daughter might relish the attention she'll be losing....

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I think what these parents did was deplorable, I do think it is a bit unfair that the media focuses so much on these two families.  I know that they are 'Hollywood', but there many more parents involved in the scam. The media should really highlight and expose all families on that list.

And I am in no way exonerating Lori's or Felicity's

involvement in this discraceful fraud.  I keep asking myself, what were they thinking???  

Honored Contributor

It is so awful for this to be done by any parent and for the children who should have had their spot.  But in some ways hasn't this been going on for centuries.  Legacy type enrollment in so many univeristy's.  Buildings built and named by families then you have a family member who honestly should not be allowed to attend the school but is accepted nonetheless. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Neither of the daughters returned to USC for fear of “ vicious bullying”. Sheesh!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is not a victimless crime either...think of the kids who were denied admission due to limited space and the richest were admitted instead...even though the others were more highly qualified. Think of those legitimate athletes who worked very hard in high school and spent summers practicing to excel so they could get athletic scholarships. Schools are limited on how many they are allowed to give....and Lori’s daughters both took someone else’s place. Now if you are a celebrity’s son or daughter and have played by the rules...is any school going to admit you without undue scrutiny? Oh, what a tangled web we weave...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just saw on the news that prosecutors say celebrities involved in this scandal will have jail time...because a fine, etc. will not be enough of a deterrent to stop others from doing the same. They also say they are going after the maximum punishment due to the bribe money given as a contribution to a fake charity...and claiming it as a charitable contribution with the IRS...that is tax fraud and a fed crime...so the stakes are high...prosecutors are thinking the celebrities will sing like birds and turn in the names of other celebrities who have done the same in hopes of getting lesser charges..stay tuned! Will be interesting to see if the rich and famous can work the justice system like the college admissions system....

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Neither of the daughters returned to USC for fear of “ vicious bullying”. Sheesh!

Vicious bullying is a (wicked) crime, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

I guess Dr. Dre's $70 million contribution lead to his daughter's independent admission to USC LOL.......

At this time, the daughter didn’t immorally cheat on her tests and/or

he didn’t illegally use the donation as a Tax Shelter,

there’s nothing wrong with this scenario. 

If there’s anyone/anything wrong, it would be the school 

for accepting a qualified individual on influence alone. 

I don't think anybody is saying they did anything wrong.  I think the lol moment comes from him saying she got in all on her own.  Who knows, she may have.  Unfortunately the supposition is his name on a building may have had something to do with it.