Respected Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin and husband plead Not Guilty

After the Jussie Smollet case, I don't believe fairness and the law even exists.  I think if she is pleading guilty, she knows something that will get her off.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't even understand what other information she could possibly have that would be of interest to the government.  They have the mastermind, Singer, the test taker, Riddell and the USC coach. All arrested and charged.  Unless she can turn in some other parents?

Personally, I still think she (or they) believe that they didn't commit the crimes with which they have been charged.  That's probably very naive, but accused people sometimes think that way.

Honored Contributor

I think Lori is under estimating how much trouble she is going to protentially be in over this.  I think she thought she was going to get a slap on the wrist and move on.  

I am also stunned at how star struck some people are with celebs.  I have to shake my head at the number of fans who are outside of these courthouses, cheering on these criminals.  

Respected Contributor

I had to laugh when I heard her say she was never told it was breaking the law! If that is her defense, God help her.  She thinks its okay to lie and cheat as long as it was not breaking the law.

I also read it was her husband who convinced her to plead not guilty.

At any rate, I hope she pays and not with cash!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Makes me curious why she pleaded not guilty. I'm raising my eyebrows. 

Spock Star Trek GIF - Spock StarTrek Eyebrow GIFs

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Give me me a break!  These parents have no moral compass at all.  I feel sorry for how the children were raised. From the Yahoo News siteciting ET:  

"...[A] source close to the 54-year-old actress tells ET that [Lori} feels like those who orchestrated the scheme misled her about the severity of her involvement.

Valued Contributor

Well, I'm going to jump in here and say they probably didn;t know anything they were doing was against the law. Did any of you? Have any of you ever heard of honest services fraud until now? Unless you are in the legal profession, why would you?

did they know they were doing something dishonest and unethical? yes, I;m sure. But not criminal.

I had to research these crimes and read a very interesting article about the history of it and what it is. I'll provide a link. I foind it a very good read. 

here's just a small excerpt from it:

The Supreme Court should take this opportunity to restrict the use of honest services fraud to its original purpose: prohibiting dishonest acts by public officials. Given the range of civil remedies available in the United States, there is no need to use honest services fraud to prosecute private actors.

Without a doubt in my mind ordinary citizens do not know every law they could possibly be breaking, Prosecutable laws. I am sure their lawyers are now going to use this defense to help their clients avoid jail time,

Whether you hate these people because they are rich and used that in an unethical way or not, do you really think they flirted with breaking a law and not getting caught? That Singer guy might have known all this but I doubt his clients did.

If you stole a shirt from the Gap and put it in your pocketbook and got caught, you have no defense, We all know taking a shirt without paying i.e. stealing, is breaking the law. But again, honest services fraud? How would you have researched that crime ahead of time before pretending your kid was on a rowing team to get into college. I'm just asking. If you google it now, dozens of links come up all bcause they are now tied to this scandal but prior to this do you think unless you went on some kind of legal site you'd get that answer?

If I were their lawyer, I'd use this "we didn't know" defense too.

Pay for someone college tuition on your dime but jail? Harsh sentence for this.

Esteemed Contributor

I've read that is exactly what Lori and Mossimo are going to do.  They say they didn't know that the $500,000 was going to be used to pay off bribes, but was to be used as a donation to the school, thereby facilitating the girls' acceptance.

They acknowledge it was probably unethical, but they were not aware it was illegal.

Surely, some judge or jury could accept that.

Honored Contributor

Stupidity is not a defense.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Stupidity is not a defense.

But if ‘Stupid’ was illegal, we’d all be in jail at one time or another.

I’m sure the prosecuting attorney is pouring over the evidence

and hopefully has a strong case. We’ll see.