Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin and husband plead Not Guilty

I think it's legal strategy that will probably backfire.  She's a California girl with an exaggerated sense of her position in this world.  Being an actress of some cable tv show might be a big thing in CA but it doesn't mean darn thing in Boston where her trial would be held.  She's counting on a jury swooning over her "celebrity" status because she thinks she's up their with Beyonce or Oprah or Taylor Swift....LOL   Hence that silly display she put on outside the courthouse a few weeks ago, she was the butt of jokes on the local news stations.  She thinks if she testififes, she can turn a jury her way but she's fooling herself.  And now that additional charges were filed...the risk is just too great.  Well, a logical person would think that but she's obviously not a logical person.  

Respected Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@suziebee1 wrote:

I think she is making a mistake.  I feel this will back fire on her big time.  It is time to face the piper, even for Aunt Becky.  She deserves to face up to her transgressions.

@suziebee1CNN just said that they are not  going to plead guilty (as in the future).  Would you please correct the title of you post.

Also prosecutors are sending letters to some of the students of indicted parents to let them know that if they knew of the schemes, they may also be indicted. 

They did plead not guilty via their attorneys'

court filings

@mom2four0418  I stand corrected.  I quoted the news channel I was watching.

It is "breaking news" on the CNN website. 

I was watching an ABC affiliate and they said 'CNN says that Loughlin is not going to be pleading guilty."  I guess their news feed was a couple of minutes old.

Can we just move on?

You asked me for my source and I answered you on the post where you said you were wrong. I have no idea why you are suggesting we move on.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Super Contributor

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/15/us/lori-loughlin-not-guilty/index.html

Title is "Lori Loughlin Pleads Not Guilty in her first response to the college admissions scam"

Esteemed Contributor

@Forbidden Fruit wrote:

I just don't understand why they didn't just pledge the money to the school?  They could have built a building (named after themselves or "The Aunt Becky Computer Center") so the whole student body could benefit.  Then the daughters could have applied and their automatic acceptance would have just have been "understood."  This would have been legal.  I don't get it.

@Forbidden Fruit 

I thought the same thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can tell you from all my years being in a courtroom that:

1) lawyers will find any loophole they can to make their case. It may not make any sense to your or I, it may be completely unethical, it may be a lie (AKA withholding the truth) but as long as they can argue it or have a jury come back with reasonable doubt, it's all good.

2) you can have all the evidence in the world and a judge can say "not guilty". I've seen it happen too many times to count. It's not fair, it's wrong, it's an injustice....but it IS how they system works.

3) they may want to see how other parents play their charge and then use aspects of those cases (depending on how they turn out) to win for Loughlin and husband.

Yes, lawyers are being paid by their clients to do their bidding. If Lori and hubby honestly think they are innocent and tell their attorney to fight their case on those grounds, the attorney will. After all, it's billable hours and if they don't do it, some other lawyer will.

It ain't over till it's over.

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@pdlinda wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Her lawyers have something up their sleeve. I don't think most of us see any way she can beat this rap, but they're clearly going to try and I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Her demeanor has been too 'business as usual', they turned down the plea deal and now they're pleading not guilty. It feels like something is up.

I think her lawyers are simply "buying time."  These lawyers are very highly paid and the more "billable hours" they use pursuing various issues that might mitigate her exposure to all the charges, the better from their perspective.  There are so many othe defendants involved in this scandal the lawyers probably want to wait and see what develops with the various other cases out there they may have a strategy to wait it out.

Highly possible. They might well also be thinking they can file an appeal if she loses and then seek a plea deal. 

ESPECIALLY if, for whatever reason, the trial results in a hung jury and they have to face trying her again.  I'm sure they will have expert "jury consultants."

Respected Contributor

Apparently Lori thinks everything works this way....sure hope a jury proves her WRONG! Try and buy your way out of (instead of into) this Missy Loughlin. Get your "orange is the new black" outfit ready.

Image result for money buys a not guilty

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed her back in the 80's on The Edge Of Night and adored her on Full House.  Never once have I got the impression from her that she thought highly of herself for just being an actor or rich.  Nothing negative in the press just a lot of Hallmark type movies.  Smiling and signing autographs was not a good plan to say the least.  But I do not believe it came across as arrogant just more stupid.  If they want a trial jury or bench she better have a better plan than what she as been doing.  There is more to all of this story for so many including the students.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I think it's legal strategy that will probably backfire.  She's a California girl with an exaggerated sense of her position in this world.  Being an actress of some cable tv show might be a big thing in CA but it doesn't mean darn thing in Boston where her trial would be held.  She's counting on a jury swooning over her "celebrity" status because she thinks she's up their with Beyonce or Oprah or Taylor Swift....LOL   Hence that silly display she put on outside the courthouse a few weeks ago, she was the butt of jokes on the local news stations.  She thinks if she testififes, she can turn a jury her way but she's fooling herself.  And now that additional charges were filed...the risk is just too great.  Well, a logical person would think that but she's obviously not a logical person.  

I think her fan base tends to be more middle aged women from the Midwest, not California liberals. She has a very carefully crafted conservative, religious, girl-next-door image.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

From 'Full House' to the 'Big House'.

To the House Of Corrections