Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin and husband just indicted with additional charge of money laundering

I'd be ashamed to admit my kids were so stupid I had to pay their way in

Don't want those future workers to be a brain surgeon or in the health field.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin and husband just indicted with additional charge of money laundering

@4kitties wrote:

Wow!  And here I had thought they would get off scott free!!

@4kitties 

Apparently, they thought they would too.

But the prosecution offered all involved a plea deal and warned that it was a 'limited time' offer, before other charges were added, if they forced it to go through an expensive trial.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Have they been charged yet what were the sentences ?

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I knew there were going to be additional charges.

Maybe she'll stop signing autographs now...

Yeah, I'll bet she doesn't act so cocky now.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I don't know why their lawyers did not advise them to cop a plea.

I am also uncomfortable with the prosecution telling them that if they didn't cop a plea additional charges would ensue.

Since they didn't plea, now the prosecution is following through?

I may be missing something but these additional charges should have been applied right from the start.

It's like giving those who did plea a way out of serious punishment.

Either they are all guilty of money laundering if they used that "Foundation" or they are not.

@Cakers3   What makes you think their lawyers didn't, and they simply refused?   As you certainly must know, clients don't always follow their lawyers' advice.

Esteemed Contributor

I've read that Lori and Mossimo didn't want the length of recommended incarceration the Government was willing to put in the plea agreement.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Have they been charged yet what were the sentences ?

@SharkE 

They've only made their pleas at this point, sentencing will be later, which is ultimately up to the judge.

The prosecution can recommend the sentence, based on plea agreements and what the law allows for the particular charge(s), but the actual sentence is up to the judge.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I've read that Lori and Mossimo didn't want the length of recommended incarceration the Government was willing to put in the plea agreement.

I bet their lawyer will walk away from them soon. 

Honored Contributor

Prosecutors say they will seek a prison sentence that's on the low end of between four and 10 months for Huffman.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/09/lori-loughlin-hit-with-new-charges-in-college-admissions-scheme.html

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DOJ filed a second superceding indictment which replaces the previous indictment.  So  additional evidence was discovered. 

DOJ press release and this second superceding indictment is at the bottom:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/16-parents-involved-college-admissions-scandal-indicted-federal-g...