Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin and husband just indicted with additional charge of money laundering

[ Edited ]

@Ttownlady wrote:

E.T  is reporting Lori just thought she would only get a Slap on the Wrist!!

Really Lori????????

I believe that.  You can just see it in her demeanor - smiling, signing autographs.

She rolled the dice and rejected the plea.  Now she's in even more trouble.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin and husband just indicted with additional charge of money laundering

I think that the prosecution going after the children who were actively involved might bring some of the parents around to just accepting a deal with the prison time attached.  (Assuming, of course, that they don't want to put their kids through that)

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Its one thing to want to see justice prevail and another to feel joy ,and happines,s  out of the suffering of others

When this happens your outlook, is no better than theirs , because in your heart ,you enjoy thier suffering, That makes me shudder

@cherry   You express this very well - OUTLOOK.

That is the key word.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I think that the prosecution going after the children who were actively involved might bring some of the parents around to just accepting a deal with the prison time attached.  (Assuming, of course, that they don't want to put their kids through that)

@Johnnyeager   Has there been new infomation showing that any children were actively involved?

I would think any evidence would have to be tied to Singer and the taped convos.

The prosecution is coming down hard, as it should.  But I wouldn't want to see them overstepping just to push a deal with jail for the parents.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, they probably didn't write any checks, but, for example, Isabelle Henriquez sat with her proctor while they actively cheated on her SAT and deliberately wrote phony essays about her involvement in tennis.  This, of course, is based upon testimony of the Cooperating Witnesses.

However, I think that the children can definitely be used as witnesses should a case progress towards trial and parents may not want that.  I view it as leverage for the prosecution.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Well, they probably didn't write any checks, but, for example, Isabelle Henriquez sat with her proctor while they actively cheated on her SAT and deliberately wrote phony essays about her involvement in tennis.  This, of course, is based upon testimony of the Cooperating Witnesses.

However, I think that the children can definitely be used as witnesses should a case progress towards trial and parents may not want that.  I view it as leverage for the prosecution.

@Johnnyeager   Thank you. 

Yes, the ones who had a proctor with them in private would definitely be something to use against their children.

I don't really keep up with the news so I appreciate your response.

Honored Contributor

Just to add - some students posed for staged photos to submit w/their applications - on a rowing machine, for example, to demonstrate participation in crew.  

Esteemed Contributor

Good point.  

Also, there are instances where students receiving extra time certification on the exams for feigning a learning disability were coached to appear "more stupid or not as smart" when being interviewed by a professional.

Honored Contributor

I remember when my kids were taking the ACT's, they told me about kids asking their parents to take them to the doctor to get extra time to take the test or other special privileges.  A lot of parents did exactly that.  They felt their kid "deserved" it because they get nervous taking tests or they aren't good test takers. 

I always thought that was pretty rotten.  It really is an injustice to the kid because at some point, you're going to have to succeed on your own merits.  The sooner these kids learn that, the better they'll be. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

That "faking a learning disability" has to be the most unsavory aspect of this entire enterprise.  Cringe-worthy.

This is the transcript of a conversation Singer had with one parent:

"I also need you to tell your daughter when she gets tested, to be as, to be stupid, not to be as smart as she is.  The goal is to be slow, to be not as bright, all that, so we show discrepancies."