Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin and husband just indicted with additional charge of money laundering

@Johnnyeager wrote:

That "faking a learning disability" has to be the most unsavory aspect of this entire enterprise.  Cringe-worthy.

This is the transcript of a conversation Singer had with one parent:

"I also need you to tell your daughter when she gets tested, to be as, to be stupid, not to be as smart as she is.  The goal is to be slow, to be not as bright, all that, so we show discrepancies."

@Johnnyeager  I knew about the faking a learning disability but this transcript is really cold-hearted and shows a complete ignorance of people with disabilities.

So many parents struggling to make sure that their disabled children get to exercise their rights, rights which are often dismissed.  There are still people in this world who look down on those who need a little help.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin and husband just indicted with additional charge of money laundering

A lot of the attention has been on the fake athletics and the fixing of the ACT/SAT exams, and this aspect of it has been overlooked; but it is absolutely atrocious and despicable.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager : Yes that hurts. I had cerebral palsy. Due to many surgeries had home bound teachers to help me not miss school or be put back a year. I qualified for help with vocational rehabilitation. They sent me through a lot of testing. Advised I could attend college but would probably take me 6 years to finish and advised not to work but concentrate on school. It was very difficult taking test- several times just reading the first test question would make me forget everything. I almost had a nervous breakdown but received my degree in 4 years from a local college and the first one in my family to do this. I had no extra help was surprised that I passed the SAT. My Mother and no one else was pushing or making me to go to college. I know my story is different but I feel for the other students. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

About 9 years ago when my son was preparing to take the SAT exam I spent nearly $ 800 on a prep course sponsored by his high school.My son worked his tail off in school as well as in the prep course. He was rewarded by getting accepted into every college he applied to with generous scholarship offers.

When he decided to go to law school he studied hard to do well on the LSAT. He was rewarded again by being accepted to every law school he applied to with generous scholarships offers.

I feel very badly for the kids that put in the time who got ripped off & turned down as a result of this.I also feel badly for those that got in honestly who have to deal with being questioned about whether or not they cheated to gain admittance.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3It's call a "Plea Deal".  The prosecution was willing to forego the additional charges if the defendants pled guilty to the charges before them.  However all of them still have to answer to the IRS for taking tax deductions for funneling money through the apparently phony charity.  I don't believe the plea deals absolved them of IRS problems.

Esteemed Contributor

Felicity's plea agreement says this:  "The U.S. Attorney agrees that, based upon the information known to the U.S. Attorney's Office at this time, no further criminal charges will be brought against the defendant in connection with the conduct set forth in this Information."

However, it also states:  "The Plea Agreement does not affect any civil liability, including tax liability Defendant has incurred or may later incur due to her criminal conduct."

Trusted Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Felicity's plea agreement says this:  "The U.S. Attorney agrees that, based upon the information known to the U.S. Attorney's Office at this time, no further criminal charges will be brought against the defendant in connection with the conduct set forth in this Information."

However, it also states:  "The Plea Agreement does not affect any civil liability, including tax liability Defendant has incurred or may later incur due to her criminal conduct."

@Johnnyeager  What was the source of this? 

Esteemed Contributor

However, it goes on to state:  "This Agreement is only between Defendant and the U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts.  It does not bind the Attorney General of the United States or any other federal, state or local prosecuting authorities."

Oh, so maybe some one else can still go after her for tax fraud

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

That "faking a learning disability" has to be the most unsavory aspect of this entire enterprise.  Cringe-worthy.

This is the transcript of a conversation Singer had with one parent:

"I also need you to tell your daughter when she gets tested, to be as, to be stupid, not to be as smart as she is.  The goal is to be slow, to be not as bright, all that, so we show discrepancies."

@Johnnyeager  I knew about the faking a learning disability but this transcript is really cold-hearted and shows a complete ignorance of people with disabilities.

So many parents struggling to make sure that their disabled children get to exercise their rights, rights which are often dismissed.  There are still people in this world who look down on those who need a little help.

So, anyone with learning disabilities must be slow and not bright. Got It..

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky