Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin & husband get prison time...

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I think it was the Olivia Jade girl who said on her website that she never wanted to go to college in the first place.

I'm sure she's pretty self-sufficient with her website (I don't know how any of it works) but she has/had a lot of followers.

But you know many/most of the rich pay their way for the kids to get into college.  There are several rappers that paid for their kids to go to those schools by paying a lot of money to the school.

Not just the rappers, there are lots of millionaires and billionaires we've never heard of who've done the same thing.

They were just very noticeable names and Lori was (to some) had a very wholesome image.  It did the response the government wanted.

It doesn't make any of it right...I doubt if it will change.

It seems like anymore no one gets punished for breaking the law.  

The old in and out (of jail) game.  A person is out of jail before the ink putting them in there has dryed.

True, there are many wealthy people who have paid to get their kids into certain schools, even when the kid was a non performer. Some of them have held some of the highest offices in the land. And if your parent went to that school, you're a shoe in, no matter what. Some have even paid for the degree and for someone else taking the tests. It's been going on for decades.

Honored Contributor

Pardon me while I withhold my sympathy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Both my daughter and son in law went to UVA.  My son in law got his masters at UVA, but my daughter got her's at Georgetown University.

My daughter said my granddaughter could probably had an easier time getting into UVA but she wanted to go to VTech because of what she's studying.

She already has a lot of college credits and is almost considered to be a 2nd year student.

My other two daughters both went to Radford University in Va.

I've met a lot of people who go and have gone to NV Community College.  I went there while my girls were in school.  I did it just for something to do.  I am/was a stay at home mom and thought it would be fun to go. 

I have been told by someone who knows that a lot of colleges are hurting for money right now because a lot of people can no longer afford to put their kids in college and/or the kids no longer want to go to college.

Every family has to decide what works for them.  It's something that every family needs to discuss openly and honestly with each other.

I'm sure a lot of college age kids have been heart broken that they wanted to go to college and they can't (for whatever reason) go to college now.

In this country now more than any time in history (it's only going to get worse) there is a huge line between the haves and the have not's.

The middle income folks have taken a huge cut financially with this virus.  Many people are having difficulty climbing out of the hole from it.

I keep hearing about people who don't have enough money to even eat.  These were people who were (before the virus) probably in low middle income class.

There are a lot of people in this country who live paycheck to paycheck  It doesn't take a lot to tilt them downward spiral.

Esteemed Contributor

@bigtraps Thank you. I think we're growing weary of the 1% in all walks of society (to be fair, not all are self-serving) who walk out of courthouses proud, arrogant and grinning -- knowing they will be held to a different standard. Let's hope we're beginning to see standards shift. I like what Gorton said to this couple. Hope it sunk in. This may sound naive, but it would be a private HELLo to have so much and keep craving more. Like an addict.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

Considering murderers and other violent criminals are being released from prisons in some states because of Covid, their sentence seems harsh.  Smiley Frustrated

Seriously though, I wonder if they didn't realize they could have gotten their little darlings into USC by giving a nice donation.  It seems they didn't.

Honored Contributor

I agree with the judge.

That is what happens when you want a label more than you want reality. My best guess is that the couple wanted to be able to say their daughters graduated from USC. I'm sure they also had somewhat positive intentions behind it. They wanted their daughters to have every success they could provide, but their moral code allowed for unethical and illegal actions to achieve it.

It's possible the daughters weren't capable of working hard enough to be good enough students to be accepted to and graduate from USC. Not everyone is a hard worker. And not everyone is cut out for college. Instead of accepting reality and appreciating their daughters as they are, it seems they cared more about getting a label than what was real. What's sad is that none of them will ever know if the young women could have done it on their own, if they had even wanted to.

That was a really caustic lesson to teach their offspring. That being able to say you're something is more important than actually being it. And even worse is how little confidence they showed in their daughters. They didn't give them the much greater parental gift of allowing them to safely try and possibly fail.

And the girls have left USC anyway. So total failure on every single count.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Another example of people with money who think they are above the law.  Hope their daughters learn a lesson from this.  

Respected Contributor

Only 10 lashes with a wet noodle (but I loved the Judge's wise words and hope she listened). Next she will keep a diary in the pokey and coming soon....the tv movie of her "ordeal" but how now she is now a changed woman and wants to help other women....yadda yadda yadda. Same as it ever was.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain 👏👏👏👏 Well stated!!! I too, pondered about the inadvertent, permanent damage the daughters must endure, as a result of this preventable tragedy.😐

Your tagline is particularly noteworthy today.😊 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

The rich ,almost always get off easier, just a fact!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.