Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin & husband get prison time...

I loved the judge's statement!

I don't care how rich you are or how charmed your life has been, anyone with an ounce of common sense standing in a courtroom before a judge who is speaking directly to you in a stern voice about your deliberate actions, gets the point it's judgment day and you're getting what you deserve!  

Honored Contributor

I think it was the Olivia Jade girl who said on her website that she never wanted to go to college in the first place.

I'm sure she's pretty self-sufficient with her website (I don't know how any of it works) but she has/had a lot of followers.

But you know many/most of the rich pay their way for the kids to get into college.  There are several rappers that paid for their kids to go to those schools by paying a lot of money to the school.

Not just the rappers, there are lots of millionaires and billionaires we've never heard of who've done the same thing.

They were just very noticeable names and Lori was (to some) had a very wholesome image.  It did the response the government wanted.

It doesn't make any of it right...I doubt if it will change.

It seems like anymore no one gets punished for breaking the law.  

The old in and out (of jail) game.  A person is out of jail before the ink putting them in there has dryed.

Respected Contributor

@PreKteacher 

I do not feel badly for the daughters. They were complicit in all of this.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   You'd be surprised at the well known people who do this legally. 

Trusted Contributor

Let's face it, neither of these two cons are going to go to jail. I'm sure their lawyers began working on it before the ink was dry on the deals. If Manafort and Cohen can get out of jail for white-collar crimes, these two can also. I'm guessing they won't serve a day and get house arrest. I'll even go one further, when each gets out of "House Arrest", they'll have parties to celebrate. 

Honored Contributor

It's amazing the way really rich people get around some of the laws we peons have to adhere to.

I had to stop myself...changing the subject talking about people paying to have someone else carry their baby...wrong place...wrong subject.

Honored Contributor

@4kitties  Yes!  The girls posed for the pictures where they're pretend rowing.  They totally knew what was going on.

Just on the surface it's wrong.  What is right about sending in pictures of someone rowing when they've never rowed?  That's a red flag there.

My best friend's son was on a rowing team many years ago.  It was a lot of work.  He didn't use it to get him into college.  He didn't start rowing until he was in college.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So much of this was discussed on another thread yesterday, but oh well... I make no bones about it, I cannot abide this woman and have never, ever cared at all for what I assessed her to be like or cared for her as an alleged actress... All that said, like it or not, this was essentially a 'white collar crime' and I never assumed the two of them would be sentenced to years and years in solitary or at hard labor... I do think, however, that the sentences should have been a bit longer and her sentence should have equalled his. Folks can claim whatever they like, but I will always believe she was the ring leader in this family and that his actions were more or less at her behest... As I said elsewhere, I think he took the bullet for the family, though it seems clear they're both culpable, as are their daughters, who apparently are allowed to take nothing away from this debacle... I do think the judge's words to her were appropriate and should have meant something, though one feels it likely they didn't sink in... I do hope she is at least held accountable for completing the sentence doled out, though I suspect neither of them will spend the full time sentenced in lock-up...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

It's amazing the way really rich people get around some of the laws we peons have to adhere to.

I had to stop myself...changing the subject talking about people paying to have someone else carry their baby...wrong place...wrong subject.

@Annabellethecat66   But there is a legal way to do it. If the parent graduated from the well known school and then when his kid came along and wanted to go there, parent would make a huge donation to the school and the kid will be attending. It is legal.

Honored Contributor

@bigtraps wrote:

Yes,  Hollywood is a dying force, I hope.  The 1%ers have destroyed the country for way too long now,

@bigtraps, no they are not a dying force. And they are hardly alone among the "1%ers" who are ethically and/or morally bankrupt. This is a diverse group from many walks of life, among whom some obviously believe that they are above the law. Or even that they ARE the law.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland