Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Loughlin Signing autographs before court appointment!

[ Edited ]

If true, I think this type of thing will continue. Tactics will become more sneaky because it's becoming more difficult for American citizens to get into American colleges and universities...yes those who are qualified.

Americans are having to compete with foreign students who come here for 4 years, then go home.  In some universities and colleges, it's 50% admission.  Preferred because they can pay full admission.  Some of these foreigners have been caught cheating on their SAT scores, but got into Ivy Leagues anyway.  These same colleges are receiving money and/or research grants from the U.S. government...you the taxpayer.

For the other 50% who are Americans, it's becoming more admissions based on social justice factors and money than it is the highest SAT scores, students who can do high level college work.

It's possible that because all of those involved here were celebrities, business owners, etc., wealthy, could have gotten their kids in these schools without Singer.  There were some celebrities, none of the 50, who came out and said their kids were highly qualified...used Singer as one would use a "publicity agent," except he helped get students into college...a "university agent."  Not unheard of even for those who are not public figures and wealthy.  Of course, they don't fudge SAT scores. 

As a society we are too quick to judge without having all the facts.  Initially, the press is most often wrong.  True facts come out later and some did.  We still operate with a legal justice system..."everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty by a jury of one's peers."

I'm not a fan of any of these celebrities and I could care less about their careers, etc.  Except, they are United States citizens and deserve equal justice.  Some of what we hear is not good, but as far as I am concerned, they are innocent until proven guilty.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager   Speaking only for myself and my family (my son, his friends, in-laws, close friends, etc). ..... very simply: History always repeats itself. Not to mention what you see in your local community/town where "certain" people get off with crimes because of who they are, who they know, the money they have. Add in I saw it growing up. My husband saw it growing up. Our parents saw it growing up. Hell, members of our families have benefited from there being different "rules" due to having money/power.  These events never make national news because it's local but you add it all together and yeah, no faith in justice for the Rich and Famous.

Please, PLEASE prove me wrong!!! I want to be told I was wrong so....here's to me being wrong. Don't think I am though, sadly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I'm curious as to why so many posters think that nothing is going to happen (to Lori and/or Felicity)?

Is it that you think the prosecutors will drop the charges? (as we know has happened elsewhere)

or that they will go to trial and be found not guilty?

or that they will enter a plea?  The issue with that is at least 3 parents are known to be ahead of them in that game at this point.   Maybe they'll wait and see what the sentences will be, but it could be too late at that point. 

First one in often gets the best deal (Law and Order rule).

@Johnnyeager 

My guess is that they all will work something out with the prosecutors, and make this go away as fast as possible.  None of these people charged will want to go to trial.  This is being handled by those $1,000 an hour attorneys they hired, IMO.

Plus .....  a few atttorneys might successfully argue that the parents were told this happens all the time behind closed doors, and while it may be unethical, it wasn't illegal.   It will depend in part on how the people receiving the money are charged and their outcomes.   (Just speculation on my part.)

As for the Law & Order rule, these parents don't all know each other and were in on it together, so each case is completely separarate.    It doesn't apply. 

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

If true, I think this type of thing will continue. Tactics will become more sneaky because it's becoming more difficult for American citizens to get into American colleges and universities...yes those who are qualified.

Americans are having to compete with foreign students who come here for 4 years, then go home.  In some universities and colleges, it's 50% admission.  Preferred because they can pay full admission.  Some of these foreigners have been caught cheating on their SAT scores, but got into Ivy Leagues anyway.  These same colleges are receiving money and/or research grants from the U.S. government...you the taxpayer.

For the other 50% who are Americans, it's becoming more admissions based on social justice factors and money than it is the highest SAT scores, students who can do high level college work.

It's possible that because all of those involved here were celebrities, business owners, etc., wealthy, could have gotten their kids in these schools without Singer.  There were some celebrities, none of the 50, who came out and said their kids were highly qualified...used Singer as one would use a "publicity agent," except he helped get students into college...a "university agent."  Not unheard of even for those who are not public figures and wealthy.  Of course, they don't fudge SAT scores. 

As a society we are too quick to judge without having all the facts.  Initially, the press is most often wrong.  True facts come out later and some did.  We still operate with a legal justice system..."everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty by a jury of one's peers."

I'm not a fan of any of these celebrities and I could care less about their careers, etc.  Except, they are United States citizens and deserve equal justice.  Some of what we hear is not good, but as far as I am concerned, they are innocent until proven guilty.  

Would you please post the source for the info re:foreign students? TIA

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Somertime wrote:

It is very interesting how Lori and Felicity appear to have dealt with the position they are now in.

Felicity seems to take the charges very seriously, has kept a very low profile, appears to be very distraught as well as ashamed by what she did.  Even her appearance in court in Boston, very sedate look, not overly glamorous, no entourage, just her brother and her lawyers.  I wouldn't read anything into her husband not attending with her.  I would assume that he is working.

Lori and her husband, a totally different story.  Flew in by private plane, normally there is a private airstrip for private planes separate from the regular airport if she flew into Logan.  In order for her "fans" to greet them, a PR team had to alert them.  Signing autographs at the hotel, smiling, joking, not good PR, walking into court in full makeup and then shaking hands with the prosecutor??????  This was not a red carpet event.  Very bad advice from her team of lawyers.  Considering if the outcome is guilty, the sentencing will be based on the amount of monies paid as well.  No wonder her daughter has the attitude she has!  A very indulgent world they live in but reality will come as a shock to them.  

I know if it was me, I would keep the lowest profile possible and be so ashamed that my actions held criminal consequences but then I would never have chosen that path in the first place!

@Somertime  I agree with your take on this.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

To a certain extent I'm standing by my somewhat faulty Law and Order analogy.  Mainly, because at this point the charges against every parent are exactly the same:  Conspiracy to commit mailfraud and honest services mail fraud.  Sure, no one can turn on another or has more information about another.  Does the United States Attorney really want to cut a deal with every single parent?  They have the mastermind, Singer, already, so there's no one to rat out.

Some reports say that money laundering charges could be added to some defendants and of course there is the IRS investigation of false charitable deductions.

Also, the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Massachusetts has just updated its website indicating that the 3 parents appear to be moving ahead with guilty pleas.  Can't wait to see what the sentences will be.   These are Jane Buckingham, Peter Sartorio and Devin Sloane.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

She seems pretty vain to me. Hope she doesn't get off with just a slap on the wrist.

I agree @RetRN !  I haven't seen much on the news about this, but I did see where Cameron Buree and the other Hallmark/Full House star, were standing behind her like she had done nothing wrong!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seems she was trying to look different for court.Of course many people try to change their look or look more conservative before a judge or at trial. I'm talking about Lori.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

It is very interesting how Lori and Felicity appear to have dealt with the position they are now in.

Felicity seems to take the charges very seriously, has kept a very low profile, appears to be very distraught as well as ashamed by what she did.  Even her appearance in court in Boston, very sedate look, not overly glamorous, no entourage, just her brother and her lawyers.  I wouldn't read anything into her husband not attending with her.  I would assume that he is working.

Lori and her husband, a totally different story.  Flew in by private plane, normally there is a private airstrip for private planes separate from the regular airport if she flew into Logan.  In order for her "fans" to greet them, a PR team had to alert them.  Signing autographs at the hotel, smiling, joking, not good PR, walking into court in full makeup and then shaking hands with the prosecutor??????  This was not a red carpet event.  Very bad advice from her team of lawyers.  Considering if the outcome is guilty, the sentencing will be based on the amount of monies paid as well.  No wonder her daughter has the attitude she has!  A very indulgent world they live in but reality will come as a shock to them.  

I know if it was me, I would keep the lowest profile possible and be so ashamed that my actions held criminal consequences but then I would never have chosen that path in the first place!

@Somertime  I agree with your take on this.  

-----------------

Me too!!!  She is doing the direct opposite of what I would have expected.   

Making herself more of a 'celebrity' at this time is not a good plan. She has become an infamous spectacle and so unlikeable.

Honored Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

Lori looks like she's already gotten away with everything.  And she probably will.  

@Krimpette Well, let’s hope not. We (this country) had better re-establish the rule of law

as quickly as possible. Allowing people and states to pick and choose which laws they want to follow is a recipe for anarchy/failure.Things had better turn around soon or we all know where this is going. I’m afraid we live in a society now that for the most part doesn’t believe in personal accountability, only the accountability of others.

@Ketra, states have the right in many cases to decide for themselves. It's called "states' rights," which has  been used for multiple sins but also for the betterment of individuals within the state.

As with anything else, it all depends upon the particular issue and what side of the fence one is on.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland