Respected Contributor

Re: Lori Laughlin's daughters have dropped out of USC

Some reports are stating this. The Today Show this morning stated otherwise. 

The girls SHOULD absolutely be expelled!

Esteemed Contributor

As of Friday the girls were technically still enrolled other news outlets have reported, but it is unclear if they will actually attend classes or be on campus today.  

I'll guess we'll find out soon.

Respected Contributor

When all is said and done, the intelligent children will go on and persevere. The others will flounder.
Esteemed Contributor

@Bri369 -  The story I heard was this: The parents did not go to college and wanted their daughters to go to college. Did it have to be USC, no, but I'm sure the name had a lot to do with where they were to go.

I did not go to college but have worked since a young age. My daughters did go to college on their own merit for which I am grateful. They both finished grad school and have great jobs.

Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

IMHO any and all who are involved in this should be ousted at once.  Further, again IMHO, any who have graduated should no longer be given credit for their work. Take away their degrees. Giving anyone the opportunity to attend college should depend entirely on their academic achievement - never on anything else. Giving anyone a college entre' should depend entirely on their hard work and achievement - never on any other factor.

@Perkup I agree with you to a point.  Any who cheated and is still in school should get kicked out and not given credit for their work.  But, if they already graduated, I don't know that it is fair to take away their diploma.  These schools have tough standards to get in.  But once in, are the classes any harder than any other school?  I guess I am thinking that just because you cheated to get in, does not mean that you can not handle the work load and get good grades on your own.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

Like Bob Dylan wrote:

"Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you king."

Honored Contributor

I wonder if the school will return their $500,000. If they stay they’ll surely be treated like pariahs by their classmates, the rowing team and faculty. 

Honored Contributor

Yep; I saw a headline that said Lori had completed their applications for them...if they weren’t interested enough to even even do that, they wasted half a million dollars
Honored Contributor

How mean to mislead your own child behind their back...to make them think they got a higher score than they did; I would feel so betrayed by my parents if that happened to me. They are sending the message to their kid that they thought they were too stupid to do well enough on the test on their own...now you can retake the test after tutoring or additional studying to try and improve your score...but I guess they had zero confidence in their child.
Honored Contributor

There are schools that now offer “open enrollment”. Students can enroll without SAT or ACT if they have high school gpa of 2.0 They must earn a 2.5 the first semester and they can continue as long as they maintain 2.5. I know several students who have done this and have gone on to graduate and two have masters degrees now....They had just screwed around in high school and not taken school seriously even though they are very smart. I think it is great that there are schools that give students a chance.