Respected Contributor

Re: Lori Laughlin's daughters have dropped out of USC

@ScarletDove wrote:

Certainly hope that the schools involved in these scams pay a hefty price.  Any federal/state support must be removed from these schools!

@ScarletDove, that is not something I would wish on anyone due to the catastrophic impact it would have on the community in which the college/university was located.

I am a retired professor from a fairly large metropolitan university.  I have been retired not quite 2 years yet.  When I left our university had over 20,000 students enrolled counting both graduate and undergraduate students. To take such action would punish the vast majority of those students and would be extreme, to say the least.  

My last year there, our university received around $78 million in federal funding for that academic year.  State funding was around $134 million.  The operating budget for the entire university exceeded $1.2 billion.  

That university is not involved in this scandal (at least not to my knowledge at this time).  But if the state and federal funding was revoked, the university would have to close.  It would not be sustainable without those funds.  There is no way they would be able to increase tuition or endowments to cover $212 million/year.   Needless to say, those federal dollars are for the operating budget.  

The university is also a major employer in the area, employing over 7,000 employees.  Those are direct employees, but there are others that would be impacted as well.  The companies that run the dorms, stores (coffee shops, sandwhich shopes, etc) that are set up in those dorms, student centers, university libraries, etc.  would also be impacted.  

And I am in a realitively small state with a fairly low cost of living.  I would hate to think of the operating budget for some of these universities.  

The situation is upsetting at the very least and those that are guilty of crimes should be punished as the law allows.  But it should not punish those that are innocent by pulling all state and federal funding.  That would punish all kinds of innocent students, faculty, staff, and members of the local community.   

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

Certainly hope that the schools involved in these scams pay a hefty price.  Any federal/state support must be removed from these schools!

@ScarletDove, that is not something I would wish on anyone due to the catastrophic impact it would have on the community in which the college/university was located.

I am a retired professor from a fairly large metropolitan university.  I have been retired not quite 2 years yet.  When I left our university had over 20,000 students enrolled counting both graduate and undergraduate students. To take such action would punish the vast majority of those students and would be extreme, to say the least.  

My last year there, our university received around $78 million in federal funding for that academic year.  State funding was around $134 million.  The operating budget for the entire university exceeded $1.2 billion.  

That university is not involved in this scandal (at least not to my knowledge at this time).  But if the state and federal funding was revoked, the university would have to close.  It would not be sustainable without those funds.  There is no way they would be able to increase tuition or endowments to cover $212 million/year.   Needless to say, those federal dollars are for the operating budget.  

The university is also a major employer in the area, employing over 7,000 employees.  Those are direct employees, but there are others that would be impacted as well.  The companies that run the dorms, stores (coffee shops, sandwhich shopes, etc) that are set up in those dorms, student centers, university libraries, etc.  would also be impacted.  

And I am in a realitively small state with a fairly low cost of living.  I would hate to think of the operating budget for some of these universities.  

The situation is upsetting at the very least and those that are guilty of crimes should be punished as the law allows.  But it should not punish those that are innocent by pulling all state and federal funding.  That would punish all kinds of innocent students, faculty, staff, and members of the local community.   

@pitdakota  I appreciate your support in defense of Universities, especially the one in which you taught  for you are considerbly more vested in the running/maintaining of that university!  If any university official was involved in any of these scams/scandals, they need to be prosecuted and fired....and perhaps the school should have some federal and/or state funds cut  depending on who and how they were involved in the fraud.  If that turns out to be the case, officials, administrators, or whomever was involved did not think about the repurcussions on the school and how it would be affected by the fraudulant scheme.  Lets hope this did not happen and only certain individuals/coaches made deals for their own personal financial benefit.

Trusted Contributor

Didnt Penn State get its funding cut when involved it its' scandal? And, didnt the President, Spanier, leave his post due to the scandal?

Honored Contributor

I think the kids who ligitmately did the work and received degrees for their acumen during the four years, should keep their degrees, and those still in who are not doing well and entered falsely, ousted.  Anyone newly entering falsely, should not be allowed in.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Probably knew they wouldn't make the grade now that the deception was exposed.

-----------------   

I was wondering...if they could not get into a school based on their own - grades, tests scores, achievements - then how the he*ck could they  earn high enough grades to stay in good standing at the college??

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@KACEE1115 wrote:

I bet they knew what was coming and got out - must be a lot of blow back their way.  Shame on them - they knew they were never on a rowing team.

They don't need the college.  Already one of them was making money with several cosmetics.  Showing onyoutube how to put make up on.  Last I heard one of the cosmetic advertisers decided to pull out. 

And by the way, not all wealthy families cheat for their kids to to great school.  Bill Gates scored perfect in this SAT for Math and Verbal. He was an overachiever in a public high school.Exactlyy what Harvard was looking for.  He went to Harvard for 2 years and then dropped out on his own!  He promptly got hired by IBM and rest is history. 

Bill Gates is certainly not the norm. I have a feeling when it suits them, the very wealthy will do whatever it takes to get what ever they want.

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@pitdakota  I appreciate your support in defense of Universities, especially the one in which you taught  for you are considerbly more vested in the running/maintaining of that university!  If any university official was involved in any of these scams/scandals, they need to be prosecuted and fired....and perhaps the school should have some federal and/or state funds cut  depending on who and how they were involved in the fraud.  If that turns out to be the case, officials, administrators, or whomever was involved did not think about the repurcussions on the school and how it would be affected by the fraudulant scheme.  Lets hope this did not happen and only certain individuals/coaches made deals for their own personal financial benefit.

@ScarletDove, I'm repeating myself here, but I don't see how withholding federal or state funds would do anything but hurt the student body and, as @pitdakota points, the whole community. What would it actually accomplish, other than create more chaos instead of stability.

Punish those involved, not the innocents. Even if the president of a college was involved (again, not likely), the solution would be to replace him or her.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@ScarletDove, I'm repeating myself here, but I don't see how withholding federal or state funds would do anything but hurt the student body and, as @pitdakota points, the whole community. What would it actually accomplish, other than create more chaos instead of stability.

Punish those involved, not the innocents. Even if the president of a college was involved (again, not likely), the solution would be to replace him or her.

@suzyQ3  I accept your opinion and perhaps you are right and I am not; I see no reason to repeat my thinking, but I stick to my opinion and we will just have to agree to disagree....

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@suzyQ3  I accept your opinion and perhaps you are right and I am not; I see no reason to repeat my thinking, but I stick to my opinion and we will just have to agree to disagree....

@ScarletDove, just as I was about to agree with you about disagreeing, we had a little earthquake here. Guess the powers that be weighed in, too.:-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@ScarletDove, just as I was about to agree with you about disagreeing, we had a little earthquake here. Guess the powers that be weighed in, too.:-)

@suzyQ3  Hope you are ok, no damage and you are safe.....I am not used to earthquakes...so a bit disconcerting for me!  Take care and have a good evening....