Respected Contributor

Re: Lori Laughlin's daughters have dropped out of USC

Parenting has changed a lot.  i swear my parents approach was stand on your own two feet, life ain’t always fair, work hard for what you want.  Then they drop kicked us out of the nest!  🤪. I watched friends and coworkers parent by doing their kids projects, becoming totally immersed in the child’s activities and making sure that the child believed they were a winner.  So it really isn’t a surprise to me that this same approach would buy the child into an appropriate institution if they had the means to do it.  

Esteemed Contributor

This is what excessive helicoptering leads to.

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

Certainly hope that the schools involved in these scams pay a hefty price.  Any federal/state support must be removed from these schools!

@ScarletDove, I can see charging individual people who were involved and holding the school responsible, but removeing federal/state support would harm thousands and thousands of innocent students

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Well, they knew what was coming.  They knew they were going to be expelled.  

Honored Contributor

@KACEE1115 wrote:

I bet they knew what was coming and got out - must be a lot of blow back their way.  Shame on them - they knew they were never on a rowing team.

@KACEE1115 

Exactly. That makes my blood boil because they took away from actual rowers that worked hard to be on a team & were left out. They should be ashamed & embarrassed.

Super Contributor

They would 'look good on paper'.......The Resume
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shawnie wrote:

Parenting has changed a lot.  i swear my parents approach was stand on your own two feet, life ain’t always fair, work hard for what you want.  Then they drop kicked us out of the nest!  🤪. I watched friends and coworkers parent by doing their kids projects, becoming totally immersed in the child’s activities and making sure that the child believed they were a winner.  So it really isn’t a surprise to me that this same approach would buy the child into an appropriate institution if they had the means to do it.

And yet, the majority of parents send their children into the world as independent thinkers who achieve wonderful things on their own. The number of young adults who involve themselves in national and global issues is heartening.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

Good !! They didn’t deserve to be there in the first place. They are spoiled entitled brats.Maybe now they’ll grow up.

Being rich & famous doesn’t make you a good parent. Putting in the hard work that it takes to raise your child does.Apparently, these rich parents were to busy becoming rich & famous to bother.As a result their kids never put in the effort to make the grade & gain admittance into these schools on their own merits.

Jackie Kennedy Onassis once said that if you don’t do a good job raising your children nothing else you accomplish matters. I totally agree with her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri369   i agree...they probably would have been better off buying "fake degrees" somewhere, especially since the kids didn't seem interested in the learning process and the hard work that goes with it anyhow!Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

This is what excessive helicoptering leads to.

Thanks for reminding me of the term!