Trusted Contributor

It's not like she says "you people"..

Trusted Contributor

I talk with a southern twang....say Ya'll and other regional phrases that I am sure would put some peoples' knickers in a wedgied bunch .....but oh well dont care and I wont change. Is a  regional or generational thing maybe?  I find some of the phrases northerners use amusing and kinda cute but it doesnt bother me at all. WHen in Rome I tolerate what the Romans do   LOL. If my southern drawl and phrases would bother someone and they attempted to "correct" me  my response would be "Well bless your wee little heart" and say whatever bohers them again whilst sipping ma mint julep tea  and fanning myself LOL LOL. Hehehe

Honored Contributor

If someone is being friendly to me, I don't care how they say it!

Honored Contributor

Much ado about nothing.  No-- it doesn't bother me at all--not one iota.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Doesn't bother me at all. Generally, people who use the phrase are friendly. Not lazy, ignorant fools, but kind, outgoing, friendly people. There are way too many other things to complain about in the world. 

@jeanlake- I agree.  When a young waiter/waitress addresses my husband and I as "guys" or "you guys" I like it.  It makes me feel included and is meant to be friendly....I certainly prefer it to "the two old people at table 2".   Too much in the world and life to be offended by a friendly speech mannerism.  I don't like to be called "mommy" which is what the counter attendant calls me at Dunkin Donuts...now, I just don't go in there rather than be rude and correct her attempts to be friendly 

Esteemed Contributor

@bakergirl wrote:

I think the use of "you guys" is not appropriate nor is it friendly nor is it typical of all New Yorkers. Although I have not lived in or around NYC for many years, I was born and raised on Long Island, New York and no one ever used this expression to my knowledge and the y'all used down south never thrilled me either. Maybe I just prefer when people speak properly. I find the sloppiness of the English language and lack of correct grammar as it is used today by media, and everyday citizens rather sad.

@bakergirl- I've lived in N Jersey and worked in NYC most of my career.  Today, It is commonly used 9 out of ten times from the wait staff and I worked at a fortune 100 and it was quite acceptable.   President GW Bush and Barack Obama frequently used the expression, BO moreso.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I prefer "you guys" to "you people," "you gals," "you ladies," or "you folks."

What do you think she should say instead?

"You folks" would be preferable to me.  I see absolutely nothing offensive about that and it truly is gender neutral.  "You guys" is not gender neutral.  And saying "they" or "their" when referencing something singular is poor grammar.

I think in today's speech pattern "you guys" is gender neutral and meant to be friendly and inclusive

Honored Contributor

Nope not at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

When Lori says "you guys" it does  not bother me at all.

What gets to me is when she calls Amy "Aim" and Amy calls her "Lor" good grief what's with this plus calling items of clothing "her" and "she" that does - not bother - but irritate me!  but I guess that is just me.

@dulwich- don't forget "Jacks" 

Esteemed Contributor

@Miranda1550 wrote:

Bothers me when Lori, and IM refer to the clothes as "She".

And when the host on the Beauty Channel

refers to customers as, "Beauties".  

@Miranda1550- most of the hosts assign gender to inanimate objects....I've heard Courtney, Jayne Brown, Pat....I don't think the men do it...hard to call a garden hose by gender tho