Respected Contributor

I call my two female cocker spaniels "guys."    As in "you guys" are driving me crazy~!

It just seemed natural and apparently correct as per this definition from Websters Dictionary:

3a :  man, fellowb :  person —used in plural to refer to the members of a group regardless of sex saw her and the rest of the guys

Occasional Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I prefer "you guys" to "you people," "you gals," "you ladies," or "you folks."

What do you think she should say instead?

"You folks" would be preferable to me.  I see absolutely nothing offensive about that and it truly is gender neutral.  "You guys" is not gender neutral.  And saying "they" or "their" when referencing something singular is poor grammar.

You "folks"?  Really?  I've never EVER called my friends folks, nor would I.  The premise of her show and every QVC show is shopping among friends.  Friends don't call or refer to each other as folks.  They do however use the phrase you guys    I use it all the time. 

Honored Contributor

Why is there always one who just can't voice an opinion and let it go but has to keep beating that poor horse?

That's a rhetorical question, you guys. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Better than "gals" or referring to 30-somethings+ as "the girls".

Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Goldstein

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Why is there always one who just can't voice an opinion and let it go but has to keep beating that poor horse?

Well right now that "one" would be you. Smiley Happy

New Contributor

I agree.............I don't like the term "you gals".......I use to have a boss that called us that and I thought it was so condescending..........just my kwirk I guess !!

Honored Contributor

@Mysfgiants wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I prefer "you guys" to "you people," "you gals," "you ladies," or "you folks."

What do you think she should say instead?

"You folks" would be preferable to me.  I see absolutely nothing offensive about that and it truly is gender neutral.  "You guys" is not gender neutral.  And saying "they" or "their" when referencing something singular is poor grammar.

You "folks"?  Really?  I've never EVER called my friends folks, nor would I.  The premise of her show and every QVC show is shopping among friends.  Friends don't call or refer to each other as folks.  They do however use the phrase you guys    I use it all the time. 

I would never refer to my female friends as "you guys."  Because they aren't.  I  wasn't referring to my friends; you brought up friends, not me.

The "you folks" I suggested wasn't for my friend but for use of servers, etc.  who don't know the group of people I'm with.  "What would you folks like to drink?"  not "you guys" to a bunch of women.  And yes, really.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Because she has to be right all the time, never accepting her own wrongs and negativity @suzyQ3.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

This woman is so unimportant.  Who cares?  The best thing to do is not watch her.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I don't think it's "sweating the small stuff." First off, someone merely started a topic for conversation - and you even took the time to respond to this "small stuff."

Second, it's something I encounter almost daily nowadays.  I don't "sweat it" but I also don't like it.  I don't exactly go home and stew about it, it's just something I don't appreciate and frown upon.   Nobody is putting it on a par with national security or anything.   I'm sure some of us felt your own topics - both of you who made this comment - have been "small stuff" too.   

Add it to the "list".