Regular Contributor

I think the use of "you guys" is not appropriate nor is it friendly nor is it typical of all New Yorkers. Although I have not lived in or around NYC for many years, I was born and raised on Long Island, New York and no one ever used this expression to my knowledge and the y'all used down south never thrilled me either. Maybe I just prefer when people speak properly. I find the sloppiness of the English language and lack of correct grammar as it is used today by media, and everyday citizens rather sad.

Respected Contributor

I think it's a regional thing, like y'all, but becoming more popular.  It's meant to be endearing and all inclusive.  I love it.

Thanks, y'all!

Honored Contributor

@Hippiified wrote:

I think it's a regional thing, like y'all, but becoming more popular.  It's meant to be endearing and all inclusive.  I love it.

Thanks, y'all!

I don't think it's endearing at all.  I think "you guys" is just lazy speech.  At least "y'all" which I'm not fond of, includes everyone being addressed.  "You guys" does not - it's sexist.

Respected Contributor

It's a generic term these days.  That's all I'm saying.  No need to be rude or insulting.

Honored Contributor

Sorry, I just don't sweat the small stuff like this.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Sorry, I just don't sweat the small stuff like this.

Exactly!  SO many other things in life that are far more important!  Have a nice day!Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

I don't think it's "sweating the small stuff." First off, someone merely started a topic for conversation - and you even took the time to respond to this "small stuff."

Second, it's something I encounter almost daily nowadays.  I don't "sweat it" but I also don't like it.  I don't exactly go home and stew about it, it's just something I don't appreciate and frown upon.   Nobody is putting it on a par with national security or anything.   I'm sure some of us felt your own topics - both of you who made this comment - have been "small stuff" too.   

Honored Contributor

I much prefer "youse guys"

Or sometimes, "yo, biches!"

Depends on the situation.

Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

When Lori says "you guys" it does  not bother me at all.

What gets to me is when she calls Amy "Aim" and Amy calls her "Lor" good grief what's with this plus calling items of clothing "her" and "she" that does - not bother - but irritate me!  but I guess that is just me.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee  If I was one of the two you were referring to, I meant no snarkiness by what I said nor was it meant to be arugmentative.  I liked what the other poster said about not sweating small stuff and agreed because I try to stay positive, even when life throws us "curve balls." That was my opinion.  If we differ in opinion, that is fine!  Doesn't make one of us more right than the other. Have a great day!

I'm not short...I'm fun size!