Esteemed Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

"You Guys" is very lazy speech and I do notice her using  it a lot, like every young waiter/waitress.

When dining out with DH and asked, "What do you guys want?", I often respond, "I don't know what the Guy wants, but the Lady would like....."

Unfortunately I am usually met with a blank expression.

Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lori Goldstein

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Libbylady wrote:

"You Guys" is very lazy speech and I do notice her using  it a lot, like every young waiter/waitress.

When dining out with DH and asked, "What do you guys want?", I often respond, "I don't know what the Guy wants, but the Lady would like....."

Unfortunately I am usually met with a blank expression.

I tried to give you a large emoticon but it didn't work so this is what I did because I love, love love what you said. Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Local expression.  Probably not intended to disrespect anyone or to speak improperly.  I use "you all."  It just slips out.  And I have recently met friends of my daughter who use "Yes, Mam."  I just love being called Mam. LOL  But I don't say anything since it is a local expression from my daughers area. 

My advice, change the channel. 

Honored Contributor

No...I know what she means.  It does bother me when she calls baggy saggy unattractive  outfits CHIC and SHE.

Esteemed Contributor

@jewel3 wrote:

I am a senior and a professional also. I find the expression endearing and lots friendlier than "friends" or "ladies" or "you gals". Just as "they" has become a gender neutral singular term, "you guys" is also gender neutral, friendly, inclusive and so typical of New Yorkers. I love it. 

Life is is just too short to criticize people for their friendliness. 

I am a professional senior and native New Yorker although I moved to CA in 1965.  I haven't used the expression in many years but do remember saying; "Quiet down you guys" or "You guys are making too  much noise", so no, it doesn't bother me if I hear it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I used to work with a lady who said "You's guys"! 

Oh no, now that would bother me!! Woman Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

No...I know what she means.  It does bother me when she calls baggy saggy unattractive  outfits CHIC and SHE.

@SeaMaiden  You mean her garments have a gender?  

I noticed that on a YouTube channel once.  The person kept referring to her mascara as "this guy" and "he."  What?  

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

Cher says 'you guys' all the time. I say it. My friends from high school say it. You never get away from it when it's ingrained for so long.

Valued Contributor

@Dobilyn

Bothers me when LG refers to the clothes as "she".

Occasional Contributor

To Dobilyn:

Why does it bother you?  This is so minor of a quirk!