Honored Contributor

To liquidate their stores as soon as they reopen.

According to CNBC. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Wah wah wah, I have a a really nice L and T around the corner from me

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Not surprised.  After their flagship store on Fifth Avenue closed the rest were inevitable.

Honored Contributor

For the longest while Lord & Taylor has been my go-to store.  I began shopping there with gusto after Garfinckel's closed in the D.C. area.  Of course, for many years now I've seen Lord & Taylor's inventory diminish and, at times, look like a lackluster display in a seedy sort of a store.  It always broke my heart; I took no delight in it.

Oh boy, now I have only Macy's nearby.  I do have an Ann Taylor in the same mall, but they do not always satisfy what I'm seeking.    

Glitzier and more fashionable stores are not at a great distance from me, but I do not like the congestion that exists in their location (Tysons Corner, for those familiar with the area).  So, I know I will not be going there.

Well, I have only myself to blame because I, too, have done the majority of my shopping online.

Lord & Taylor was a fantastic store in its heyday. 

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh  Sorry to hear that. Lord and Taylor was my go-to for that difficult to find outfit for special occasions since my Mom took me when I was a little girl.

Respected Contributor

@golding76   I knew something was up with L & T when I was at  Tysons last Christmas.

The store was in the process of going out of business and everything was drastically marked down.  If you can't make it in Tysons, you are in trouble.

The store that I really hated to see go was Woodward & Lothrop.  I still miss it.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Re: Lord &Taylor

[ Edited ]

I loved Woodies, too, Mersha.  I should have written that I went to Garfinckel's (and Raleigh's) when I wanted something special.

Woodies and the Hecht Co. were there for office clothing, handbags, etc.  And they were great at what they did!

Gone, gone, gone.

Will we ever have grand department stores again?  They were a pleasure.  I and others have recounted here how we'd visit during the holiday season and have a special lunch with our mother after viewing all the new Christmas toys.

View of Garfinckel's Department Store, on the northwest corner of ...

Garfinckel's

Super Contributor
So many memories for me. This is sad news, but not surprising after the closure of their Fifth Avenue store. I remember the iconic Christmas windows, the gift boxes with the rose in them, the bell sounds telling customers that closing time was near, etc. I feel for the employees.
🌹😢LadyAlice
Respected Contributor

...that’s really too bad.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lord &Taylor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha wrote:

@golding76   I knew something was up with L & T when I was at  Tysons last Christmas.

The store was in the process of going out of business and everything was drastically marked down.  If you can't make it in Tysons, you are in trouble.

The store that I really hated to see go was Woodward & Lothrop.  I still miss it.

So agree about Woodies... I still miss it too... That said, I thought L&T was a better store and preferred it to some of the few remaining nicer stores in the region... When I heard they closed Tysons, I too figured it was only a matter of time... It might have been inevitable, who knows, but their operation changed, and not for the better, when it went under Hudson Bay... I haven't been since it went under the current owner... I really wish with these sadly missed department stores they'd have seen the handwriting on the wall and operated only a few stores, instead of expanding into markets that wouldn't sustain them... Had they done so, we might still see a flagship store or two and perhaps even a few stores scattered farther and wider... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...