Honored Contributor

Re: Lord & Taylor Files For Bankruptcy— Closing 19 of 38 Stores ☹️

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I loved shopping at L&T back in the day when they didn't have cash registers.  They wrote sales tickets and everything was wrapped in tissue paper.  It felt so elegant and adult to this 18 year old.

I was in L&T about a year ago and someone asked if they could wrap their stuff in tissue paper.  The 20 year old behind the register had not idea what she was talking about.

Not surprising. In the day, stores like L&T, Garfinkels, Raleighs, Woodies, Bloomies and so on had professional sales staff... I remember at Garfinkels they had their little sales book and wrote out sales slips... Today's sales 'associates' pale by comparison...  I think during our lifetimes, we've pretty much seen the end of elegance... I'd say that pretty much applies across the board, but clearly with regard to shopping...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@stevieb   I used to live in Chevy Chase and would go to L&T and Woodward & Lothrop after work as the metro came up outside the W&L front door.

The Chevy Chase store is huge.

@VaBelle35  I hope it survives... I've been to the shopping area in CC, but it's not particularly convenient to me at this point, so unlikely to head up that way... I used to work somewhat close to that area and the stores were all so nicely done... My most missed store is Woodies... I just loved that store... It wasn't quite as 'exclusive' as some of the others that have bit the dust, but it was a quality store for many years and I loved their merchandise...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's funny when I look back on it ... I became very good friends with my sales associate ... I mean really good friends.   We'd go out to dinner, shop together at other stores, etc.   

Most of my silk blouses (still have them to this day) were from L&T ... and I have quite the collection.   

"My store"  at Water Tower Place, has been closed for quite a while now.

Honored Contributor

Lord & Tylor left our city several years ago....they just didnt attract customers.........Nordstroms doesnt seem to be fairing very well countrywide either, neither is Saks...QVC needs pay attention to what is happening to high priced competitiors that they like to reference.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I think many of these closure were inevitable, although the pandemic surely sped things up.

We can look back with nostalgia, but the era or such stores is over. The customer service you all mention really hasn't had a big presence for some time now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope L&T keeps Oakbrook, IL.  It's a wonderful store.  This crisis has hurt so many retailers, families and other businesses.  I am sure Bankruptcy lawyers are happy but so many people lost jobs.  Very sad.

kindness is strength