Honored Contributor

Re: Lord & Taylor Files For Bankruptcy— Closing 19 of 38 Stores ☹️

I had heard of Lord & Taylor, but never had one around. Then when we came here there was one at one of the malls near us. I've been there a few times. One of my closest friends LIVES there! She will be glad this one is not closing!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Sadly the era of the luxurious department stores from the 1960s into the middle 90s is finally coming to a close. I saw it coming 8 or 9 years ago around the Holidays. Back in the days before the internet those stores were buzzing. I heard Macys may try and re-invent itself by renting smaller footprints.  The days of the 3 story department store are gone.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Well, there went my Lord & Taylor.  I am very sad about this but not surprised. 

Having checked its hours repeatedly online, and each time seeing no hours posted (although the Macy's and J.C. Penney's at the same mall had reopened), I knew it was gone.

Distressing...

@golding76  The Tysons store was so nice... White Flint was nice too, though I preferred Tysons... Fair Oaks is small but still a nice place to shop and they are showing store hours Th through Sunday... I remember too the Falls Church store... It was so elegant... I can't believe they're all gone or going to be gone... The only one likely to remain being Chevy Chase and I suspect I'll never go there... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Lord and Taylor always reminds me of my mother. I think that was her favorite store. We still have boxes with the Lord and Taylor red rose.

The boxes alone were something to be treasured.Woman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When they closed their flagship store on 5th Avenue, I figured that was a bad sign! 😞  L&T used to be such a special place to shop. It hasn't been like that for a long time.

Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005 

There were times I was at that store twice a week, the store at Ridge Hill looked so strange, I bought some jewelery there over the years but that is it 

@roeroe1005 wrote:

@I am still oxox,

I loved the Scarsdale L&T store.  That shoe department was always a mess, but I always found something to buy!

Looks like the small one at Ridge Hill will be gone.  

I didn't see anything for the Palisades Center L&T.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I loved shopping at L&T back in the day when they didn't have cash registers.  They wrote sales tickets and everything was wrapped in tissue paper.  It felt so elegant and adult to this 18 year old.

I was in L&T about a year ago and someone asked if they could wrap their stuff in tissue paper.  The 20 year old behind the register had not idea what she was talking about.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@stevieb   I used to live in Chevy Chase and would go to L&T and Woodward & Lothrop after work as the metro came up outside the W&L front door.

The Chevy Chase store is huge.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

I am truly saddened by this. L & T has been my favorite store ever since they opened in the Walden Galleria Mall in Buffalo in 1989. This is one of the stores they are closing. 😞😢 

Esteemed Contributor

Once the NYC store close that was it for me with L&T.   Truth be told, the quality and state of the store and merchandise just wasn't the same quality for a long time.   Nordstrom, I'm sure is having difficulties at this time but they've managed to keep the stores neat and clean and quality products and excellent service.   I love their new NYC store and before the pandemic was doing quite well.  Saks Fifth closed in N Jersey where I live but seems to be doing well in NYC.   Maybe it's location and knowing your client base?